Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2018 worth keeping before battery warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, it has approx 37k miles. I have been having issues with it recently from replacing battery coolant heater and 12v battery to the latest replacement of MCU. The car went offline a few times and it took 3 tows to service center to have them diagnosed the issue of MCU. Of course all of these issues happened on the 5th year which my car is out of warranty and I had to pay tows and repairs out of pocket. My concern now is the battery warranty which will expire in 2026. I have read in the forum that someone was quoted $22k for battery replacement. I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
My warranty does not cover degradation, as I was informed by the Tesla agent when I insisted on obtaining the battery health percentage.

Question: Are you sure we can do "health test in service mode" , as I didn't find that option under the service mode

My Car : 2018 Model S HW3.0 MCU2.5 , SW version 2024.8.7 (upgraded Yesterday)
Some has reported the battery health test is not available especially older models, I don't have it neither. I estimated it by the rated miles and charge percentage, since I owned the car from the very beginning, so I know roughly the degradation percentage, I lost around 11%.

Upvote 0