Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2018 worth keeping before battery warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, it has approx 37k miles. I have been having issues with it recently from replacing battery coolant heater and 12v battery to the latest replacement of MCU. The car went offline a few times and it took 3 tows to service center to have them diagnosed the issue of MCU. Of course all of these issues happened on the 5th year which my car is out of warranty and I had to pay tows and repairs out of pocket. My concern now is the battery warranty which will expire in 2026. I have read in the forum that someone was quoted $22k for battery replacement. I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
As long as the car now is worth more than the battery, you can gamble. The price of the battery will drop over time (probably), so don't replace unless necessary. If it dies, you pay for a new battery with a 4yr 50K mile warranty, and either sell the car immediately, recovering your cost in the normal value of your now working car -- with warranty, or keep the car and sell it before the new warranty runs out. Either way, you only lose the loss of use and issues with replacing the battery if needed as long as the car with new battery retains its normal depreciated value over time. It will be a selling point with a new battery if you decide to sell.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
As long as the car now is worth more than the battery, you can gamble. The price of the battery will drop over time (probably), so don't replace unless necessary. If it dies, you pay for a new battery with a 4yr 50K mile warranty, and either sell the car immediately, recovering your cost in the normal value of your now working car -- with warranty, or keep the car and sell it before the new warranty runs out. Either way, you only lose the loss of use and issues with replacing the battery if needed as long as the car with new battery retains its normal depreciated value over time. It will be a selling point with a new battery if you decide to sell.
You make many good points. Given Tesla's recent $1k increase in both their reman and new Model S/X replacement packs, I don't see prices coming down. Hope I'm wrong.

Especially if Tesla's goal might be selling as many new cars vs keeping old ones on the road.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, it has approx 37k miles. I have been having issues with it recently from replacing battery coolant heater and 12v battery to the latest replacement of MCU. The car went offline a few times and it took 3 tows to service center to have them diagnosed the issue of MCU. Of course all of these issues happened on the 5th year which my car is out of warranty and I had to pay tows and repairs out of pocket. My concern now is the battery warranty which will expire in 2026. I have read in the forum that someone was quoted $22k for battery replacement. I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?

I don't think you will have major problems going forward that are not covered by the pack and motor warranty. If your pack or motor fails and is replaced under warranty, the car might be worth slightly more.

In making your decision, consider the loss of use of money that you will incur if you buy a new car now vs in two years. If buying a new car means you will save less in a retirement fund, avoid said purchase as long as possible.

Get Teslafi or Recurrent (Free) and track your battery health compared to the fleet.

If you like the car, I would keep it for at least another 18 months.

Also, in that time they may work out more bugs on the new MS, and greater than zero chance for another price cut.

Upvote 0
Model S is a low volume high margin model, your battery seems to degrade more than the others, if you want to gamble on Tesla will lower the price of the pack and/or drive unit in the future, it is not going to happen. There is another option like Recell battery pack that is cheaper than Tesla, but unless you are really attached to your car and willing to spend money on it, anything out of warranty is not going to be cheap ... you may as well trade in for something else. The lower priced newer models honestly have more features, longer range, better price especially with tax credit, and warranty ... this is one of the disadvantage on owning a older Tesla model.

Reactions: YHKK and NV Ray
Upvote 0
Tesla needs a long term solution to address the cost of the replacement batteries. Without that, the EV movement will be stalled.
Hopefully you've voted at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll".

Unless the OP's drive unit and battery pack are replaced between now and their warranty expiration, I'd look to sell the car shortly before expiration. The value of the a car with a busted/problematic drive unit or pack that requires replacement goes WAY down vs. functional.

I wouldn't count on replacement pack prices coming down a whole lot, if it all.

Reactions: NV Ray
Upvote 0
Have you considered getting an aftermarket warranty? A quick search shows xcare quoting roughly $700 a year for a 2018 MS. This would basically cover the entire car including battery.

this may or may not make sense for your personal situation but it’s something to consider. Basically it’s just a way of limiting risk and gives peace of mind if the battery were to go out.

• Informative
Reactions: XCare EV
Upvote 0
You still have two years left on your battery warranty, why worry about it now? That’s like asking if you should sell your car after year one of your 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
As others have said, look at XCare for an aftermarket warranty if you’re worried. I just purchased one, non-battery coverage for my 2019 75D last year.

Upvote 0
You still have two years left on your battery warranty, why worry about it now? That’s like asking if you should sell your car after year one of your 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
As others have said, look at XCare for an aftermarket warranty if you’re worried. I just purchased one, non-battery coverage for my 2019 75D last year.
Thanks for the recommendation @Kairide !
We are happy to help everyone keep their Teslas on the road for years to come! Lets us know if we canprovide a quote and more info @YHKK . :) ⚡
www.evwarranty.com

-Team XCare

Reactions: YHKK
Upvote 0
I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?
The 75D was rated at 259 miles EPA when new. So 80% should have been around 207 miles instead of 226. If it is now at 185 miles at 80%, that is about 11% battery degradation from new EPA value, which is pretty normal.

Upvote 0
Hopefully you've voted at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll".

Unless the OP's drive unit and battery pack are replaced between now and their warranty expiration, I'd look to sell the car shortly before expiration. The value of the a car with a busted/problematic drive unit or pack that requires replacement goes WAY down vs. functional.

I wouldn't count on replacement pack prices coming down a whole lot, if it all.

That's what I did. I sold my P85DL with a year left on the 8 year unlimited warranty with 134K miles. 2 years later and the current owner has nearly 200K on it still with the same Ludicrous upgraded factory original battery and both original drive units. If I'd known they'd have a FUSC transfer promotion to move it to a new Tesla, I would have kept it, transferred the FUSC to a new MSP and then sold it. Granted, it would for a lot less now than what I sold it for 2 years ago even adjusting for the mileage. I'm 2021 refresh LRs listed for less than I sold the 2015 for 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
Buying an extended warranty can give a peace of mind for the next few years. The battery and SDRU looks much more reliable than the earlier pre 2016 version, we will see more concrete data as more of them are coming out of warranty. Old Tesla is not going to attract much buyers especially if it is out of warranty.

I think several things are coming in the not so distant future - NACS charging networks continue to expand, cheaper EV models are coming out, e.g. Elon's 25K model - what if it has close to 200 miles range ? Other manufacturers will be forced to compete, depending on the political climate this fall, Fed/State may taper EV mandate but some sorts of incentives will still be there. Older out of warranty EV will not be in a good position in the second hand market.

I am at a similar situation, everything is reliable and I also have extended warranty till next year, it probably can sell at most 25k now but likely a lot less next year, still haven't decided what to do yet...

Upvote 0
This is so interesting to read. My 2018 just got towed for random errors related to the battery cooling system, a dead 12v, and suspension compressor errors. So far no word as to what is going on with it. Also debating whether to keep or trade up. Have heard rumors about the latest software upgrade killing the 2018's.

Upvote 0