Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My energy use is suddenly off the graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P90D

Earlier this week I took the update to 17.5.28

Since then I've noticed that my energy use graph (and therefore my estimated range) is looking very strange.

I see many large peaks which are literally off the graph (ie > 900 Kwh) and my estimated range is dropped dramatically down to around half of what I normally see. These peaks aren't short either- they seem to be long enough that the graph line doesn't become visible again for 0.5 miles or something..

I have just been doing my normal commute, not changing my driving style whatsoever - this normally averages at 380-400kwh. I am now seeing averages of 750-850kwh just for gently driving around London for 10 miles with the heating off!

What's strange is that I don't notice any bursts of power use and then as I keep looking at the graph I'll notice another of these big peaks appear. The graph is literally re-writing history!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Are these peaks happening just when you first get into the car and start driving? If so, is the car by chance not getting turned off and sitting there burning electricity for a while, driving up the PER MILE consumption because the car wasn't going anywhere?

Similar things happen when people have taken their car in for service. The first mile the person sees really high power consumption and thinks the service techs went joyriding, but in some cases at least, it's just because the car was on in the garage for several hours and not moving, making it look like there was some joyriding going on.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I had this same issue happen last summer. One day I got in the car and when looking at the energy graph for the previous 30 miles it reported several long (3+ mile) stretches of >900Kwh usage. My previous trip had been an uneventful run to the grocery store. I always read the graphs, I just enjoying looking at my energy usage because I'm weird like that, so I know it wasn't there before and history had been rewritten, as you say. I reported it but no one had any idea what could have caused it, and it never happened again.

Hi all - thanks for your suggestions and advice. Tesla have agreed it sounds strange and will be taking a look at it. In the meantime a few more details:

These peaks are not happening at the beginning of journeys. I've now done the same several more times since the last post and have tried the following:

Preheating car while it is charged in
Range mode on
Range mode off
Energy saving mode on
Energy saving mode off
Always connected on
Always connected off
Climate control completely off
Climate control on fan setting 1

This morning the last 2 miles (just London Town driving) it was hard to get the usage below 900kwm. And I am literally driving as if I have the queen on the back seat. I thought I was going to get a journey with normal usage but then those last two miles suddenly went off the graph continuously again.

It also seems to be a real battery loss and not a graph display error. If I display my battery as a % I am losing 10% of charge to go 7 miles...

Attached some pics of the graph. Each time I started my journey on 85% battery and these pictures are at the end of a 7 mile journey. Climate control was at Fan speed 1 in both cases and outside temp around 7c. No hilly roads.

I will let you all know what Tesla say!

Attachments

• graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 77
  • graph1.jpg
    graph1.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 67