Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with 500 miles on my one month old Cyber Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience at 500 miles and one month with my Dual motor Cyber Truck

Background: This is my 4th Tesla and 7th EV
In 2000 GM EV1 less than 1 month
2000 Toyota Rav4 EV until 2013, trading to
2013 Model S, my wife bought a Nissan Leaf traded both for
2018 2 model 3 Long Range
Bought a 2016 F350 and a 25’ Airstream in 2019
We live in Austin TX and have a second home in Madeira Park, British Columbia Canada, about 2 hours north of Vancouver on the pacific coast

We drive to our house in Canada each summer and typically 3 times a year
Also to California, Florida, Chicago and local state and national parks

Ordered the Cyber Truck to replace the F350 for towing the Airstream and a 12’ cargo trailer
Ordered the extra Extender Battery

First impressions of Cyber Truck:
It’s big and easy to drive, lots of power for towing, smoother and quicker than the F350 Lariat

Missing some expected features
1) parking ultrasonic sensors- completely caught me by surprise, like WTF? Parking a big truck with no beep beep sensors is not great, especially as you can’t see very well out of this truck. Yes the cameras help, but you can scrape up against the side if you’re not careful without any warning. All cars have these sensors
2) no cruse control- I understand waiting for the full self driving, but towing without cruse control is not good, and driving on long trips requires it. I guess I’m spoiled, and stuck.
3) incompatible with the “other” fast chargers / Adapter from Tesla. Why? Makes no sense
One of the reasons why we buy Tesla is because of the charging stations, but why reduce the option for the Cyber Truck when all the other Tesla vehicles work with Chamodo or whatever they are calling them now.
4) no way to know what Super Chargers have a Trailer spot in the navigation, list of Superchargers, etc for trip planning

My brother in law’s Rivian has more charging options than my Tesla?

The raising and lowering is problematic for towing and you can’t set it and make it stay at the correct height for the trailer, resulting in scraping the bottom of the Airstream when it decides to lower the suspension

The trailer brake controller and light test work well, hitching up the trailer is easy, the camera is nice.

My expectation regarding range while towing the Airstream was about 50% of the normal range when not towing, so I expected to get around 150 miles at 55-60 MPH on dry level highway travel.
We planned our route going out Interstate 10 to California and then up Interstate 5 to Canada, checking the distance between superchargers along the way, and we expected to not exceed 120 miles between each charge

Our first test was from our house to a HEB grocery store about 5 miles away. The round trip consumed 20 miles, so that was as expected.

The second test was to South Lanno River State Park, at 110 miles from our house. It was around 90 degrees last weekend when we did a full trip charge at home and departed around 10:AM we went out through Dripping Springs, then Johnson City taking the slower and direct route guided by the Tesla Navigation. We stopped in Johnson City for lunch, to Interstate 10 then to the park where we checked in and parked the Airstream in its site. We had warnings and 28 miles of range left.

No 50 A 220V power at our site, only 30A 110V, so I quickly departed to the supercharger in Junction and charged for 45 minutes to get to 200 miles of range- not a quick charger

We thought it would work, but it was close.

The next morning we hooked up the Airstream and headed back to the Junction Supercharger. It is nice that we didn’t have to disconnect the Airstream to charge, which would be a major pain, but there is no way to know what chargers have a special spot for vehicles with trailers.

One we had a full trip charge we headed back on Interstate 10 at 55-65 MPH (no cruse control), then 290
We closely watched the energy graph, plotting our range and distance, just like we did on the previous day.
When we got to Johnson City it was clear that we would not make it home, we needed to charge.
The difference was 50 MPH on the way out vs. 60-65 MPH on the way home.

We confirmed it when we arrived home, we can not on count on making it to the next supercharger on the Interstate 10 route, so the Cyber truck is not going to be able to be used for towing. There are gaps longer than 120 miles around New Mexico and Arizona

I was planning on bringing my generator in the bed of the truck for an unplanned charging issue, and supplementing Supercharging with overnight stops with 50A charging from the RV hookups, but I can’t see a way to make it work with the inability to get 150 miles with the Airstream. Not worth the risk and stress.

Maybe after we get the Range Extender battery.

So we will be staying in hotels and not bringing the Airstream for this trip.

I really want to make it work, I tell people all the time that we installed Solar and went EV in 2013 and haven’t paid for gas or oil changes since (except for the tow vehicle)

Cheers,

Walter

First_Cybertruck_Sighting_on_the_Street,_Miami_Florida_18_May_2024.jpg

"First Cybertruck Sighting on the Street, Miami Florida 18 May 2024" by Phillip Pessar is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

2) no cruse control- I understand waiting for the full self driving, but towing without cruse control is not good, and driving on long trips requires it. I guess I’m spoiled, and stuck.
I'm not sure what you are expecting from "cruise control", but there is Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC), which gives you "everything" except auto-steer and lane changing. The is no Navigate on Autopilot.

Is cruse control working in your truck? Is it just my cyber truck that cruse control is not working?
Yes, TACC is working just fine. I also turned on the stop on red/green lights beta and it works fine too. Also, when having a navigation point set, the truck will slow down when approaching a turn. There was a small camera calibration that happened when I first picked it up. Maybe your camera are still recalibrating?

Just to make sure, you are pressing the right scroll wheel (only once) to activate TACC?

You should have a big "button" that says "Traffic Aware Cruise Control" in the Autopilot menu.

Yes, TACC is working just fine. I also turned on the stop on red/green lights beta and it works fine too. Also, when having a navigation point set, the truck will slow down when approaching a turn. There was a small camera calibration that happened when I first picked it up. Maybe your camera are still recalibrating?

Just to make sure, you are pressing the right scroll wheel (only once) to activate TACC?

You should have a big "button" that says "Traffic Aware Cruise Control" in the Autopilot menu.
Thank you araxara🙏

It is working now! I got a notification that I had to schedule service to align the cameras, once I booked the service appointment and recalibrated my cameras, it started working

I am hoping that the service appointment will allow Auto Pilot or FSD to work

I booked the appointment on my route to Canada in Temecula Ca, it was sooner than any available appointments in Texas

I’m very happy to have cruise control working for the trip, driving from Austin TX to Madeira Park, BC, first long (2,784 mile) trip in the Cyber Truck 😊🇨🇦

We live in Austin TX and have a second home in Madeira Park, British Columbia Canada, about 2 hours north of Vancouver on the pacific coast

Ordered the Cyber Truck to replace the F350 for towing the Airstream and a 12’ cargo trailer

It’s big and easy to drive, lots of power for towing, smoother and quicker than the F350 Lariat

1) parking ultrasonic sensors- completely caught me by surprise, like WTF? Parking a big truck with no beep beep sensors is not great, especially as you can’t see very well out of this truck. Yes the cameras help, but you can scrape up against the side if you’re not careful without any warning. All cars have these sensors
3) incompatible with the “other” fast chargers / Adapter from Tesla. Why? Makes no sense
One of the reasons why we buy Tesla is because of the charging stations, but why reduce the option for the Cyber Truck when all the other Tesla vehicles work with Chamodo or whatever they are calling them now.
4) no way to know what Super Chargers have a Trailer spot in the navigation, list of Superchargers, etc for trip planning

The raising and lowering is problematic for towing and you can’t set it and make it stay at the correct height for the trailer, resulting in scraping the bottom of the Airstream when it decides to lower the suspension

The trailer brake controller and light test work well, hitching up the trailer is easy, the camera is nice.

My expectation regarding range while towing the Airstream was about 50% of the normal range when not towing, so I expected to get around 150 miles at 55-60 MPH on dry level highway travel.
We planned our route going out Interstate 10 to California and then up Interstate 5 to Canada, checking the distance between superchargers along the way, and we expected to not exceed 120 miles between each charge

Our first test was from our house to a HEB grocery store about 5 miles away. The round trip consumed 20 miles, so that was as expected.

The second test was to South Lanno River State Park, at 110 miles from our house. It was around 90 degrees last weekend when we did a full trip charge at home and departed around 10:AM we went out through Dripping Springs, then Johnson City taking the slower and direct route guided by the Tesla Navigation. We stopped in Johnson City for lunch, to Interstate 10 then to the park where we checked in and parked the Airstream in its site. We had warnings and 28 miles of range left.

No 50 A 220V power at our site, only 30A 110V, so I quickly departed to the supercharger in Junction and charged for 45 minutes to get to 200 miles of range- not a quick charger

The next morning we hooked up the Airstream and headed back to the Junction Supercharger. It is nice that we didn’t have to disconnect the Airstream to charge, which would be a major pain, but there is no way to know what chargers have a special spot for vehicles with trailers.

One we had a full trip charge we headed back on Interstate 10 at 55-65 MPH (no cruse control), then 290
We closely watched the energy graph, plotting our range and distance, just like we did on the previous day.
When we got to Johnson City it was clear that we would not make it home, we needed to charge.

We confirmed it when we arrived home, we can not on count on making it to the next supercharger on the Interstate 10 route, so the Cyber truck is not going to be able to be used for towing. There are gaps longer than 120 miles around New Mexico and Arizona

I was planning on bringing my generator in the bed of the truck for an unplanned charging issue, and supplementing Supercharging with overnight stops with 50A charging from the RV hookups, but I can’t see a way to make it work with the inability to get 150 miles with the Airstream. Not worth the risk and stress.

I really want to make it work, I tell people all the time that we installed Solar and went EV in 2013 and haven’t paid for gas or oil changes since (except for the tow vehicle)

Cheers,

Walter
We are heading on the trip this Friday June 21, without the Airstream, staying in hotels and with friends and family. Debated taking the M3, but decided to go with the Cyber Truck
2,784 Mi, 53.5 hours driving and charging time, 25 charges planned by ABRP

I expect to have the range extender for next year 🙏🇨🇦

Getting ready to go tomorrow morning and the cruise control is not working again, giving me the indication that the camera alignment is required. I have the appointment scheduled for Tuesday in California.
I tried resetting the camera calibration again but it didn’t work. I’m not really sure what happened to get it to work before, I tried all the same steps. It was nice having it working for a few days, but it would be great to have it on the trip.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Towing IS and will almost always be an issue with EV… I’m not sure if ICE ppl reallly know exactly what their towing range IS relative to regular range.. they just know its more (energy consumption) or less, (range), but since overall there is usually a gas station somewhat nearby they just “deal”… but 120 miles with a trailer, that is just well - sh…e in my opinion. And not a viable option for any usage more than just home to the LOCAL lake, and back, etc. CAN it pull the trailer, yes.. but it’s not even a light duty - let alone medium duty option. And, frankly, it’s probably not engineered to be.

Thank you araxara🙏

It is working now! I got a notification that I had to schedule service to align the cameras, once I booked the service appointment and recalibrated my cameras, it started working

I am hoping that the service appointment will allow Auto Pilot or FSD to work

I booked the appointment on my route to Canada in Temecula Ca, it was sooner than any available appointments in Texas

I’m very happy to have cruise control working for the trip, driving from Austin TX to Madeira Park, BC, first long (2,784 mile) trip in the Cyber Truck 😊🇨🇦
lol that’s such a crazy distance - in European (and beyond) terms that is like London to Jerusalem

Based on your experience if you can't get it to work it's not likely many could. It's evident that electric trucks are not fit for cross country towing. Not just this one--none of them are. They are perfectly usable for towing within a city, or using for cross country if you're not towing. Sounds like the F350 is still the way to go.
lol that’s such a crazy distance - in European (and beyond) terms that is like London to Jerusalem
It's partly because the highway system in North America allows covering distances at higher speeds. I've driven just over 1000 miles in just under 17 hours, averaging 62 mph for the entire trip, including [very few] breaks, with only myself driving...just mile after mile of non-congested highway and a very quick time through a border.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Cheers,

Walter

View attachment 1058849
"First Cybertruck Sighting on the Street, Miami Florida 18 May 2024" by Phillip Pessar is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
By the way, the Cybertruck wheel center cap seems a good accessory.

Product link: Heptagonal Center Hubcap Lug Nut Covers for Cybertruck
1719385145891.png