Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First MAJOR problem @ 10,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50,000 miles is a little below industry average isn't it? (Not that it will be a problem for me)

I think the 40kWh models are rare enough that are impacted by this. And due to their limited range I think they will also be less likely to have driven > 50k miles in one year. So unlikely that any MS is out of warranty. But yes, interesting that it's so small for the now discontinued model. Might have been put so small intentionally to dissuade people from buying the 40kWh model and seems to have worked out ;)

I think the 40kWh models are rare enough that are impacted by this. And due to their limited range I think they will also be less likely to have driven > 50k miles in one year. So unlikely that any MS is out of warranty. But yes, interesting that it's so small for the now discontinued model. Might have been put so small intentionally to dissuade people from buying the 40kWh model and seems to have worked out ;)
I'm confused on what you're referring to here.

The 50k miles is for all-but-the-battery on every flavor of Model S.

Sticking with the original thread, a 'Thud" at Highway speed and errors galore flashing up on Saturday...This happened to our P85 over the weekend. Have not heard anything yet, but the Call Center and Denver SC both mentioned High Voltage Battery failure. I'll be interested to see if a new Battery is the solution. I'll be sure to edit this with our resolution.

Even though I should be jumping up and down, kicking and screaming...Tesla Customer Service is fantastic. From the California Call Center, to the Local Store Manager that got involved, and the Local SC and Rangers that brought us another Tesla while the Tow Truck was arriving.

Sticking with the original thread, a 'Thud" at Highway speed and errors galore flashing up on Saturday...This happened to our P85 over the weekend. Have not heard anything yet, but the Call Center and Denver SC both mentioned High Voltage Battery failure. I'll be interested to see if a new Battery is the solution. I'll be sure to edit this with our resolution.

Even though I should be jumping up and down, kicking and screaming...Tesla Customer Service is fantastic. From the California Call Center, to the Local Store Manager that got involved, and the Local SC and Rangers that brought us another Tesla while the Tow Truck was arriving.

What is your vin number and how many miles do you have on the car? Last one. If your vin is in the 2000 do you no if you a have an A or B battery pack?

Thanks, Tim

I suspect that the THUD heard was the power electronics (IGBTs) experiencing sudden failure. With a ton of energy in that pack, if they do fail, they will explode (the inverter casing is designed to contain this.) Relatively speaking, this is a rare event. Likely due to having a cool inverter and suddenly heating upon acceleration, causing rapid thermal expansion (hotspot IGBT failure.)

Both of my previous cars were Acuras (Integra and MDX) and both had the same warranty - 4 year / 50k mile. Looks like most luxury car makers have similar warranties as shown on the Lexus site where they compare the warranties of various manufacturers. Looks like a few actually offer a slightly longer power train warranty.

Lexus | Warranty Benefits | 2014 Lexus
Warranty and Roadside Assistance Coverage -- Edmunds Auto Warranty Tips has a nice table of current warranties.

IIRC, Honda and Acura for ages only had powertrain warranties that were the same length as their basic warranties. Only a few years ago (IIRC), did they become more competitive.

For ages, Toyota on their non-luxury cars had a 3 year/36K mile basic warranty and 5 year/60K on powertrain. That's what I recall when my parents bought a 91 Camry. My 1st Nissan (an 02 Maxima) also had the same length warranties as I just mentioned.

edit: Looks like the Honda/Acura warranty enhancements started w/the 06 model year: Honda vehicles to have increased warranty coverage in 2006 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums.

At that time, Toyota's and Nissan's luxury brands tended to give you a year and ~10 to ~15K miles extra on the basic and powertrain warranties vs. their non-luxury brands.
Just a quick update, I got the car back yesterday...Tesla service was great, all is good now with the new battery.....interesting note, with the new battery I get 380 km rated when charged overnight, when before, I was getting 360km rated ( when charged to 86% full - the Tesla default ).
Can you be more specific? Which battery/batteries did they replace?

Last edited:
I am not an automotive engineer, but based on what I learned from watching the first responder training videos for Tesla, I'd imagine that the thud was the solenoid disconnecting the high voltage battery from the electrical system when current from the 12-volt was lost. Current from the 12-volt must be available at all times for the high-voltage battery to remain engaged, and it is a mechanical lockout in the form of a solenoid that enforces that requirement.

I dont think so, as it happened after a 'thud' whilest driving... i dont recal reading about a similar 12V issue in the threads.

- - - Updated - - -

YES ! - and I also only found out about Röyksopp after Tesla Slacker radio service played it while playing similar music to songs i liked.. i have found lots of great new music through Slacker. Here's the link for the track i was listening too " Keyboard Milk " - https://soundcloud.com/royksopp/keyboard-milk

Røyksopp is an norwegian group :)