Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My impression of 42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
I downloaded 42.2 last night on my X. While I only have 50 miles on it, but I don't think this is a game changer like some of the people claim. A lot of problems from the previous releases are still there and it might have introduced some new bugs too. Here are what I found.

Pros
#1 Car seems to be holding the center of the lane better than before, I don't feel like the car is leaning too close to the left or right as often as it did before.
#2 I haven't officially tested it, but the nagging message time seems to have gone up. There are less of those messages as I see.
#3 UI stitching seems to work better, so less cars climbing and crashing on the UI.

Cons
#1 Phantom braking increased quite a bit. During sunrise today, the car had trouble picking up a silver VW golf in front. The display would bounce from tracking the VW in front to the car to the car on the next lane. The car started pumping the brakes hard as the screen jumps between the two car. The driver behind me didn't appreciate the hard braking.
#2 Car seems to leave quite a bit of distance between itself and the car in front, it makes for very uncomfortable driving in rush hour. I have the setting at 1.
#3 They seem to have done nothing in regards to merging with traffic, car will shoot for any gap it sees instead of using logic to let other cars slide in. I don't know how NAV on Autopilot work with merges that are not in ideal condition.
#4 With all the cameras in action, the car is still having a tough time when another car shoots the gap between your car and the car in front. Couple times I got close to a car that jumped in front of me, the car acted like as if nothing happened.

Do you or anyone happen to have the release notes or know where I can find them? I dl’d the update last night it was waiting for me this morning and I pushed something and the notes disappeared. I see the beta so it’s installed I just like to take a few pics so I can go over the update instructions. Thanks!

I want to add two more things

Braking is extremely harsh in this release of the autopilot. I feel a lot more hard braking event than before.

I did try the nav on autopilot feature. It was really freaky the car put the turn signals on automatically and took the exit and then shut off and transit back to regular autopilot

OP, completely agree with you, especially with cons. I drove about 100 highway miles today and the car slowed down several times for no reason. I have never seen this on any version of autopilot software, even going back to AP1. For me, nags actually got worse. Seems like I get them every 20 seconds now.

I counted mine, nag was 45 sec, but change in volume will knock it off.

The phantom braking is really bad around overpasses and low sun, be careful.

I did all of my test in rush hour traffic, your mileage might vary.

Oh, one more thing, the car at no point tried to suggest a lane change or anything like that.

I found it suggesting lane changes, IF you are lucky enough to see it. There is no sound, just a subtle message at the bottom of the IC. It works but you have carefully watch the IC to know when to hit the stalk. Unfortunately, that is in lieu of watching the road. Not good.

I think there is a slight ding on mandatory lane changes, not for passing.

Anyway the phantom braking situation is bad. It did it again under a highway sign. also the blind spot for people cutting in front of you is pretty bad, I nearly ran into another car again tonight. The person was slowly crossing my lane, car made no attempt to stop from 50.

I see the OP’s points, but I do mostly disagree as well.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED 42.2 with Navigate on Autopilot! I used Mad Max mode and thought the lane change suggestions were very good. Not perfect of course, but totally reasonable and it didn’t camp me in the slow lane or behind a slow vehicle.

I didn’t get any phantom braking hard stops, though I did have a few cautious slowdowns (similar to if I let my foot off the accelerator). I think that’s Tesla making adjustments for cautious behavior assuming they are close to having a full EAP solution on the highway. But admittedly, I was driving at night and didn’t have a lot of overpass scenarios.

Also, the first time the car engaged the turn signal on its own and then used the interchange to change freeways was a genuine “holy mother forking shirtballs” moment. It was so cool! Reminded me of the WOW factor from experiencing Autopilot 1 all those years ago...

After several weeks of testing and data collection, or worst case early in 2019, I feel like they’ll turn on Unconfirmed Lane Change and we’ll have a true on-ramp to off-ramp Tesla EAP solution!

I haven’t been able to do merge at speed. How is it handling it for you guys? My highway to highway merge happens at 5 to 10mph. My car would just run into the car in front, no way is it smart enough to avoid cars and learn how to do a scissors merge