Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 is arriving this week. What do I need to know and do to get ready?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great information, thanks so much. Question, why is it strongly advised to not charge to 100% ? I ask because I truly don't know nor understand.

Thank you

Actually, @Needsdecaf 's actual quote was " dont charge to 100% and let it sit there"

Its not good for batteries to sit at "100% full" for long lengths of time. This is why the car has a line of demarcation / indent if you try to move the charge rate above 90%. Charge to 100% if you need to, for a trip, but dont charge to 100% if you dont need to, and dont let it sit there.

If you have further questions on this topic, please post them in the dedicated thread for batteries / range, etc, which you can find here:

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Carry a portable air compressor.
I have this one.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 7.02.13 PM.png

I had a flat yesterday. I pumped it up and was able to take the car to a tire shop and get it repaired for $20.

IMG_6986.jpeg

I got my M3 2 days ago. Loving it. I'm sharing what accessories I have:
  • Performance Pedals. Looks great but I got the TopFit which is very hard to put on. See YouTube for pointers.
  • Center Console Tray
  • Tempered Glass Screen Protector
  • Grocery bag hook for trunk
  • Rear Trunk Organizer Side Divider
  • Jack pads
  • All weather mats for floor, trunk and frunk. I got the TeslaShields one.
  • Tinting schedule for next Tuesday. Still thinking about PPF. Not sure if I want to drop another $600 for just the bumper.

I got my M3 2 days ago. Loving it. I'm sharing what accessories I have:
  • Performance Pedals. Looks great but I got the TopFit which is very hard to put on. See YouTube for pointers.
  • Center Console Tray
  • Tempered Glass Screen Protector
  • Grocery bag hook for trunk
  • Rear Trunk Organizer Side Divider
  • Jack pads
  • All weather mats for floor, trunk and frunk. I got the TeslaShields one.
  • Tinting schedule for next Tuesday. Still thinking about PPF. Not sure if I want to drop another $600 for just the bumper.
Congrats! As for the PPF, I was also thinking about it but I'm not gonna bother. I've never had it before on any car and haven't had more than a tiny chip or 2 over the years. Also from what I've read, the PPF also gets damaged by rocks so if you wanted it to look pristine, you'd have to drop more money to have it redone. Of course everyone has their own personal preference.

Congrats! As for the PPF, I was also thinking about it but I'm not gonna bother. I've never had it before on any car and haven't had more than a tiny chip or 2 over the years. Also from what I've read, the PPF also gets damaged by rocks so if you wanted it to look pristine, you'd have to drop more money to have it redone. Of course everyone has their own personal preference.
My cousin has a 2019 M3 and his dad has one too. He has the PPF on the bumper and his dad doesn't. He said he doesn't have the rock chips his dad does but they are very minor and he is beginning to get chip elsewhere so in his mind, its not worth it. His opinion is to get the paint pen unless you are going to PPF the entire car.

Read the manual on your computer first, not in the car (as someone else stated). Sit in the car and go through the items on the screen and pre-set some things, i.e. do you want the side windows to auto fold? do you want car to lock when you walk away? do you want to set a max speed limit? (this requires a PIN); adjust the side mirrors; set up favorite radio stations; auto dim the headlights; program some favorite navigation sites. I bought the front & rear rubber floor mats from Tesla, to protect the mats that come with the car. (With snow and rain, they are easy to clean.) I also got a professional PPF and ceramic coating put on two weeks after delivery. It was a little pricey, but worth it for me. After I wash the car, she looks good as new!

Check the car over thoroughly when you get it, including the alignment. Be sure to let Tesla know if something needs to get fixed as early as possible. Some items such as paint need to be done within the first 100 miles, so be diligent and don’t wait.
If you plan on spending a bunch of $$ on wrap and ceramic and are generally anal about the cars appearance, bring your detail guy to the pickup so you can reject it if needed without driving it away. If you drive off and find stuff it can start a bunch of finger pointing.

Get used to putting your takeout in the frunk (if it fits) so it doesn't smell up your cabin. Saw another member here suggest that and I think it's awesome. Not to mention the look on other people's faces in the parking lot when you open your hood and place your food where there's normally an engine!

Prepare for super duper duper long wait times at the service center for seemingly simple fixes. Oh, and no loaner cars either. Honestly my SC experiences have soured my whole Tesla experience. Most likely gonna dump this car for something else in the near future.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim