Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering my new baby. What should I watch out for upon pickup? What accessories would you get right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm finally ready to trade in my trusty 2009 Honda CRV for a 2023 M3 RWD from inventory. Rented one for a roadtrip in July, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since.

I know Tesla is notorious for issues with fit and finish. Is there anything in particular about the vehicle that you would look out for prior to driving it off the lot? This is a huge, huge, purchase for me and I'm not super knowledgeable about cars in general. I want to make sure I don't miss some obvious issue due to my ignorance and not knowing where to look.

What accessories would you get right away? I'm looking at the Maxpider 3d Floor Mats, a screen protector, and probably some type of sunshade. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats
I've had mine for for 3 months and love it.

The only thing from your list that's missing are the armrest organizer trays and you're set!
I would just grab a bottle of Chemical guys total interior, I'm always using it to clean the seats and display.

They also sell some wipes which I keep in the car!

Cheers

I want to make sure I don't miss some obvious issue due to my ignorance and not knowing where to look.

What accessories would you get right away? I'm looking at the Maxpider 3d Floor Mats, a screen protector, and probably some type of sunshade. Anything else I should consider?
To be honest, even if you drive off the SC lot and notice fit and finish issues later, you can schedule an in-app appointment to have the issues fixed. Watch the Meet your Tesla videos: https://www.tesla.com/support/meet-your-tesla/model-3 Read the owners manual: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/ Your accessory list is good. We had professional expel tint applied on all the windows except the windshield which helps reduce the heat of the Florida sun entering the cabin. Have a Tesla Wall charger installed in your garage if you have one prior to delivery, charging at home optimizes your ownership experience. If you decide on a NEMA wall socket and use the mobile connector, ensure you research the brand and quality of the wall socket. Search youTube for "The Bearded Tesla Guy" and watch is video on his cheap wall plug sparking and melting. Enjoy your Tesla! I have owned my 21 3LR AWD since September 2021 and have but 67k troublefree miles on it.

There’s so many similar products now at half the price. You can pay for the name brand, or save money and get the same thing without the 3D logo.

Agreed. I bought floor mats without branding (SUMK on Amazon) and they were perfect.

I've had my Model 3 for almost 3 years and just put a screen protector on... Spigen Matte... also from Amazon. It's nice.

As @blackT3$!@ mentioned - home charging. If you can make it happen, a hardwired connector is the way to go (e.g. Tesla's HPWC). Safer and about the same price as a mobile connector.

Congrats on buying the best car humanity has produced!!

Nice! Since driving one of our company Model 3's a few times, I had to have one as well. Like others have said, I purchased knock off Maxpider 3D floor mats without the logo. For less money, my set also came with a trunk and frunk mat. I also purchased a M3-specific windshield shade. For about $20, it is a game changer to keep things cooler and save battery when parked in the sun. I also bought the pucks to safely lift the vehicle, screen protector, and Ubertine-style wheel covers. Oh yeah, kind of an accessory, I purchased the My Q garage opener software upgrade through Tesla. It annoys me that it is not included, but it is such a nice thing for me to have that I grit my teeth and pay for it.

I find I don't need the mobile charger. I was able to get a Tesla wall-charger for free from my electric company. Check with yours.

Also, you didn't mention it, but be sure to search the web for a referral code. You'll get an extra $500 off and 3 months of full self-driving for free.

Enjoy your new ride.

Reactions: BradfordCat
Thanks all. I've got my accessories ordered and my CRV sold. Now, all I need is the Tesla. 😄

I'm currently reading and re-reading every "black interior vs. white interior" thread in existence trying to make up my mind. The white interior looks amazing, but I wear jeans pretty much every day and frequently manage to spill coffee. I think practicality is going to win out in the end and I'll go with black. I know most don't seem to have trouble with the white interior, but I feel like I'd somehow find myself amongst the outliers.

I'm currently living in an apartment for a while longer, so charging is going to be interesting. But, I pass by a supercharger several times a week, so I don't think it's going to be too bad. My biggest concern is that I want to leave sentry on all the time due to the shared apartment parking lot, so I might be making a lot more supercharger trips than I expect.

So far, I've ordered some knock-off floor/trunk/frunk mats from Amazon, an anti-glare screen protector, a tiny car vacuum, and a "Model 3" license plate frame. I'll probably take the armrest organizer suggestion and add one of those as well, and get some Model 3 sunshades before next summer rolls around.

Currently shopping around for car insurance rates. That's one thing I had definitely underestimated. Looks like my rates are about to go through the roof. Progressive seems to be the winner so far.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
My insurance rate actually went down (using the same insurance carrier). I had a 2012 Honda Civic before. However, my policy is liability only. Comprehensive and collision might be a different story.

You spill coffee less in a brand new car. Because it's brand new so you're more paranoid about keeping it nice. 😁

My biggest concern is that I want to leave sentry on all the time due to the shared apartment parking lot, so I might be making a lot more supercharger trips than I expect.

I didn't have home charging for my first 6 months of ownership, so I visited a supercharger 3 times a week. It was okay at the time because it was novel and on my way home from work, but once I got home charging I very much appreciated it. Home charging is where it's at.

Some people do make home charging work at their apartments.

I'm currently reading and re-reading every "black interior vs. white interior" thread in existence trying to make up my mind. The white interior looks amazing, but I wear jeans pretty much every day and frequently manage to spill coffee. I think practicality is going to win out in the end and I'll go with black. I know most don't seem to have trouble with the white interior, but I feel like I'd somehow find myself amongst the outliers.

I chose black for the same reason, but I don't find them to be low maintenance due to their matte finish.

I find myself frequently wiping them, as dust is clearly visible, and any sweat or skin oils become quite apparent. Although the oils can be easily wiped off, I dislike how they look when they're dirty. After making the purchase, I even had second thoughts about choosing black over white (even though none of us wear jeans very often).

Although apartment dwellers don't necessarily have the same convenient charging options that homeowners do, I don't think it'll be that different from having to go get gas once a week. I'm sure you'll figure out a routine. There are people who take it to a charger a lot simply because they have older Teslas that came with free supercharging and not because they can't charge at home, so it definitely can be done.