Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready to buy my first Tesla... What to know...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm sure someone has pointed out that the TESLA is a different type car and takes some getting used to. The flat screen that controls everything is the largest learning curve I had. I've had my M3 LR for a year and a half and I'm still learning things about it. I don't drive it everyday, but my wife does and she is more accustomed to it than I am. For example, my card key stopped working and I ordered two more and I still can't get it to activate so apparently it's not the cards. I'm sure I'm missing a step, but haven't figured it out yet after watching videos. Fortunately, my phone still opens the doors and controls everything I need, but I've got to get those key cards working.

At 28K miles it's been a great car and I don't regret anything about purchasing it. I service 6 vehicles for my family and one of the reasons I purchased the TESLA is very, very little service compared to an ICE machine. I've only rotated the tires and had TESLA mobile service come and change both tail lights (under warranty) that was getting condensation in them.

I live in a moderate climate and started with 358 mileage range IIRC. Now my max charge range is in the 345 range.

Also, I have a BMW X5 and a BMW Convertible and the TESLA handles and performs better. The TESLA doesn't take bumps as well, but it sure drives well. I hope you enjoy yours.

Get a level II charger installed at your home if you can. It is a game changer. Takes away all worries.

Charging it overnight with a 15 amp/120 volt circuit is pretty marginal for a 50 mile round trip commute. If the temps get cold it won't be enough.
I agree with this. I have used the 120V charger when I was at the lake house and could only get about 70-80 miles in 8 hours of charging which was adequate for what I need at the lake. I have a Level 2 charger in my garage at home that cost me around $1300 for an electrician to install. It is set to charge off peak and works great.

I replaced my C7 corvette with a Model 3 Performance ...and I'm still happy. my Tesla is quicker in a straight line but doesn't handle nearly as good as my C7 Grand Sport. The Tesla also doesn't have the same coolness factor as the C7, in my opinion. Aside from handling and a lower coolness rating - the Tesla is pretty damn amazing. The car is just so enjoyable to drive. It's easy, simple, smooth, quiet and has instant on-demand throttle response, not to mention regular free software updates that continue to add features and improvements.

I replaced a 240v outlet in my garage to something compatible with the mobile charger . I think it cost me about $35 for the outlet and another $30 for the mobile charger adapter...that's it. It adds about 15miles of range per hour which is way more than i would ever need.

Enjoy your new ride.

Before my M3 LR, I had:
Corvette C7 Z06

Before that, I had:
Dodge Viper GTS

Before that, I had:
Lotus Exige

All were daily drivers/commuters. I use vans as my weekend car believe it or not. 😂

I was on a wait list for the new Corvette E-Ray. As soon as I heard about the nearly non-existent range and 45 MPH Max speed on electrical power as well as the 100k+ price tag, I balked and grabbed the cheapest used M3 LR that had EAP for my commute.

I’m now kicking myself for not going to a Model 3P.

And I only bought my M3LR 2 weeks ago. 😝

As soon as the title arrives, I’m thinking about putting it up for sale and look for either a used Model 3P or a used Model S P100D.

I am also debating waiting to see how Plaid prices shake out with the fall release of Highland and the CyberTruck. I’m hearing rumors that 80K for a used but decent Plaid with FSD might be the new pricing norm. That price range would get me to sell my other remaining cars and just get a Plaid already.

-Paul

Congrats! you are going to love it. Drives very smooth. Which model 3 are you getting?
You will need to buy floor matts as it does not come with it.
I got mine in February, Just watch some videos in regards to build quality so that way before pick up you can make sure everything looks good as some have had issues with build quality. Mine was good.
The Model 3 really doesn't come with floor mats??? Ugh! The Tesla website shows they are "out of stock".

Wow, forgot to check back on this post for a couple days and BAM, all kinds of activity!

I am taking delivery of my M3 SR RWD on Friday. Zero options. Paid $39,740. Before taxes and stuff.

Car will be used to commute and that's it. Getting a 200AMP service upgrade and putting in a dedicated 100amp panel in the garage. Want to put in a 240 plug along with the charger for a bigger compressor and/or TIG welder.

As for getting rid of the vette, not happening. Haha. The vette provides a lot that even a Plaid can't provide for me. I grew up dreaming about a vette. When I see the Plaid, zero % of those emotions exist.

Happy you are all happy with whatever you got.

Reactions: mactilla and PdxAmp
After driving our M3LR in town, I wonder how in the world we got through town with anything else. Maybe just a lot of patience. Sometimes theres a lot of traffic and if there is any good amount of room between oncoming cars, merging with our M3 is FAST. I think people just use our town as a convenient shortcut (although our grocery store has excellent deli sandwiches.)