Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, just to ring this up again...

So I have run the filter replacement / foaming of the coil two times now, and the smell is not going away. It's way more horrible than my Model 3 ever was.

Does anyone have a nuclear option for the Model Y with the mildew smell coming out every time you use the car? Moreover, is there a better option than the typical foam cleaner we are supposed to use?

Lastly, it there any chance that some other part of the system is causing the issue... as opposed to the cabin filters / inside coil?

I will say that I tried the Nu-Calgon Evap Foam No Rinse with disappointing results. Smell came back quickly. I since realized that I should have purchased Evap-Fresh Foam No Rinse. This product contains a mildewstat and fungicide. This is what makes the difference but this version is hard to find and usually costs as much to ship as the can itself.

IMHO, I had this happen in an Audi I had long ago. It's just the AC needs to be dried off after running OR needs to get hot enough to kill everything off. This can happen to your house AC as well, it's just that those are set to run the fan for some time after the coil stops being cooled so it's dry when the fan is turned off. Tesla needs a button to run the fan at max for a minute after you exit.

Have had the same issue for a long time and finally just said to hell with it. It's coming from the HEPA filter intake tube. If you've ever removed the cover and HEPA filter you'll see the filter has a rubber seal gasket that goes into or sits on top of the intake tube. I've found that water somehow finds a way from the windshield or wiper area around the gasket area and drips into the intake tube. I've reseated it and made sure the seal was tight but water finds a way in. When the car sucks in fresh air, some water is then sucked in directly onto the cabin filter which eventually causes it to get moldy.
Solution - I actually removed the intake tube and just have the HEPA sit on top of nothing thus no HEPA filtering. Oh well better than breathing in moldy mildewy air. Changed out the cabin filters and air has been nice and fresh even during this muggy rainy spring we are having.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Y_4_speed
Here’s a pic of the air housing I removed. You can see a seam that runs on top. I wonder if that’s where the water was leaking in?

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpeg
    IMG_1564.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 10
Here’s a pic of the air housing I removed. You can see a seam that runs on top. I wonder if that’s where the water was leaking in?

Yep...just made a post about that ->

Reactions: rolling green