Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y Upgrade Initial Thoughts - Almost Perfect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I took delivery of my Y I made sure to do a thorough walk around, inside and out to try to spot any of the infamous flaws we have become accustomed to. Heck my Model 3 had an off center steering wheel and a pain run in the trunk lid. I have heard of multiple Y owners complain of bad panel gaps and other annoying QC problems. Everything looked ok to me.

When we got home I was putting the floor mats from my 3 into the Y and I looked at the passenger side door jamb. Damn it.
151778391_785615078713662_5622533060713427757_n.jpg

I was bummed out but I already have a service call placed which should be handled by a remote tech who can also install the Homelink kit I have on the way. These vids cover my pick up and initial thoughts!

One other oddity and maybe this is unique to the SR Model Y. I assumed the allows under the wheel covers were black as all of the pictures I saw on the internet of Y's minus the covers were black. Imagine my surprise when I pulled mine and found this. I think the alloys still look good but I would have preferred black. Anyone know if this is a SR only thing?
153138781_711486939539216_5165962536560188222_n.jpg

Reactions: fiveofus
One other oddity and maybe this is unique to the SR Model Y. I assumed the allows under the wheel covers were black as all of the pictures I saw on the internet of Y's minus the covers were black. Imagine my surprise when I pulled mine and found this. I think the alloys still look good but I would have preferred black. Anyone know if this is a SR only thing?
View attachment 638900

First of all, congrats on the purchase. Based on what I have seen, you have what what other Ys have. Black looks dope and probably a reason lot of folks paint it black.
I have an order for a Y SR. Can you please share if you got new console and your order date? With SR taken off the configurator, I am trying to figure out how things will unfold. Thanks

First of all, congrats on the purchase. Based on what I have seen, you have what what other Ys have. Black looks dope and probably a reason lot of folks paint it black.
I have an order for a Y SR. Can you please share if you got new console and your order date? With SR taken off the configurator, I am trying to figure out how things will unfold. Thanks

Hmm ok I dont think the alloys look bad enough that I need to paint/plastidip them but I guess it's always an option. I really got lucky, I ordered mine the day the 2K price drop was announced and picked it up yesterday as it was an inventory vehicle. I wonder will happen for people like you that went the more conventional route?

View attachment 638900

Getting My Y this week can't wait.
Carole

• Love
Reactions: Duf67
Not a collector version and you didn't get any special discount. Right now, anyone can call Tesla and order the same model at the same price as you.
You can still order it or you can only get an inventory car at 39990? My understanding was only inventory cars at this point and if it isn't local to you slap a transport fee on top of it.

If the rubber boot is bothering you, that's a quick fix. If it's giving you trouble popping it back into place, hit it with the hairdryer to soften it up a little bit and it'll pop right back into place.

Yes, it can be upsetting to get a car delivered to you and you see some quality control issues like this, but fortunately that's an easy fix and nothing extensive like paint or structural defects.

That is good to know that they do not include the 220 adapters!

Tesla stopped giving out the NEMA 14-50 adapter plugs a couple of years ago with their new cars. Model 3 owners immediately saw this change happen when people taking deliveries started to get only the 5-15 adapter that fits your standard 110 home outlet.

You can buy the exact adapter that'll work for your home, as a 14-50 adapter wouldn't do me any good since I use a 50A 6-50 outlet in my garage charger. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters