Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y Upgrade Initial Thoughts - Almost Perfect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine my surprise when I pulled mine and found this. I think the alloys still look good but I would have preferred black. Anyone know if this is a SR only thing?
View attachment 638900

All of the Gemini wheels (19" Model Y wheels) are silver underneath the hubcaps. It's not based on the SR version as you can get a LR Y with 19" Gemini wheels, and it'll still have the same silver wheels underneath the caps. If you've seen some black Gemini wheels, then it's been painted aftermarket. There were some people who ordered their Model Y SR with the 20" Induction wheels, and those come black from the factory but do not have hubcaps on them.

• Informative
Reactions: fiveofus and Duf67
Can you do that on a lease?
I'm not giving any legal advise here, as each lease return company that inspects the cars have different criteria on what they look for.

I've seen lots of people in the past powder coat wheels on a leased car, and return it without any issues or additional costs. Just like window tint, if the quality looks clean on the car and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, then the dealership may choose to overlook it as it can help with the aesthetics of the car. But if you have paint chips or paint flaking off from the wheels, then they will ding you for that. If you Plasti Dip your wheels, it's easy to remove from the rims with a pressure washer before returning the car.

Also, if you are return a Model Y lease that came with the 19" Gemini wheels, then you would need to return them with the hubcaps on the car, thus covering up powder coated wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: fiveofus
If the rubber boot is bothering you, that's a quick fix. If it's giving you trouble popping it back into place, hit it with the hairdryer to soften it up a little bit and it'll pop right back into place.

Yes, it can be upsetting to get a car delivered to you and you see some quality control issues like this, but fortunately that's an easy fix and nothing extensive like paint or structural defects.
It's not just the boot, it looks like the plastic wire guide is not seated into the door jam correctly. We tried popping it in but did not want to go nuts with it since it is a brand new car.

If the rubber boot is bothering you, that's a quick fix. If it's giving you trouble popping it back into place, hit it with the hairdryer to soften it up a little bit and it'll pop right back into place.

Yes, it can be upsetting to get a car delivered to you and you see some quality control issues like this, but fortunately that's an easy fix and nothing extensive like paint or structural defects.
With my Model 3 I had a paint run in my trunk lid. :(

One other oddity and maybe this is unique to the SR Model Y. I assumed the allows under the wheel covers were black as all of the pictures I saw on the internet of Y's minus the covers were black. Imagine my surprise when I pulled mine and found this. I think the alloys still look good but I would have preferred black. Anyone know if this is a SR only thing?
View attachment 638900
Personally, I'm not a fan of black wheels. I love the look of the naked Geminis (technically, Apollos) but plan to run the wheel covers for a bit to get an idea of range, then maybe take them off for a bit (once I get a wheel cap set) and see what the difference is.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung