Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P85D doesn't go past 133MPH. I thought the limit was 155MPH?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dec '14 P85D that was apparently software limited to 130mph (not 131, not 129...) in July 2015. I opened an issue with service on that when I returned from vacation. Thu-Fri (11/19-11/20) the vehicle was serviced, with that item included as one of the items.

Service commentary:
Concern: Client reports that vehicle will not achieve over 130mph. Please check and perform SB-15-40-001 as appropriate

Corrections: Inspect Motor Speed Sensor, Update Drive Unit Bootloader

Inspected sensor and determined no replacement needed, already latest revision.
Determined drive unit hardware ID needed updating to latest revision. Encountered issue with bootloader update that was resolved with assistance from Service Engineering. After bootloader and firmware was updated confirmed proper operation of the drive unit. Due to the parameters regarding the verification of the top speed, we will allow customer to verify, but all configurations should allow the specified top speed without issue.

Pay Type: Warranty

On 11/23, I verified that it can go at least 145mph. I'll look into verifying 155mph when conditions allow.

Last edited:
I have no desire to drive my car at any speed close to 131 MPH, much less faster than that. But that's not to say that at some point in the future I may not sell it to someone who does. I shouldn't have to worry about that possible eventuality, and I shouldn't have to be reading TMC religiously to know what I need to do not to have to worry about it. That's why I and others believe it is Tesla's responsibility to be proactive in situations like these.

bringing thread back from the dead...

last week I had the opportunity to try going past 130 again. To my surprise, it DID NOT LET ME GO PAST 129. The feeling was the same as before, where it was limited, just like the loaner fleet limited to 80mph.

I was furious. a quick note to the SC returned basically: "try charging to car closer to 90% and try again". What kind of BS response is that? I got the feeling they felt i was being petty and unreasonable. The feeling was clearly a limit at 130 by SW.

why is it that I have to keep checking again and again whether my P85D will go past 130? this is frustrating... anyone else notice that past 7.1 the car doesn't go past 130? Is this unique to my car? The SC is not being helpful at all.

bringing thread back from the dead...

last week I had the opportunity to try going past 130 again. To my surprise, it DID NOT LET ME GO PAST 129. The feeling was the same as before, where it was limited, just like the loaner fleet limited to 80mph.

I was furious. a quick note to the SC returned basically: "try charging to car closer to 90% and try again". What kind of BS response is that? I got the feeling they felt i was being petty and unreasonable. The feeling was clearly a limit at 130 by SW.

why is it that I have to keep checking again and again whether my P85D will go past 130? this is frustrating... anyone else notice that past 7.1 the car doesn't go past 130? Is this unique to my car? The SC is not being helpful at all.
Presumably your p85d is made between Dec 2014 and March 2015. In which case it is likely that the speed sensor on the rear motor needs replacing to enable this. It's a warranty replacement if the customer requests. Have them check the speed sensor and replace as per the bulletin, i.e. From mine done previously: "need to apply Bulletin SB-15-40-001 this requires us to replace Motor speed sensor 1002722-00-C ". Quote this and I'm hopeful they will sort this out.

Definitely not needed for everyone, though if you have the safe, legal, opportunity it's an amazingly stable car at > 15k RPM on those motors ;-)

Presumably your p85d is made between Dec 2014 and March 2015. In which case it is likely that the speed sensor on the rear motor needs replacing to enable this. It's a warranty replacement if the customer requests. Have them check the speed sensor and replace as per the bulletin, i.e. From mine done previously: "need to apply Bulletin SB-15-40-001 this requires us to replace Motor speed sensor 1002722-00-C ". Quote this and I'm hopeful they will sort this out.

Definitely not needed for everyone, though if you have the safe, legal, opportunity it's an amazingly stable car at > 15k RPM on those motors ;-)

to clarify. I already did the TSB you are referring to. this was done late last year after wk057 pointed it out. when i first reported the issue to Tesla, they gave me the following excuses:

1. you are not reading the speed limit correctly, and that sometimes the big dial can lag (I have no idea what they were trying to convey, but this was during v6)
2. "we checked your car remotely, and it's per spec. please try it again"
3. the car goes faster than what the big dial shows (my response was "it's actually the other way around")

Long story short, after I gave them the TSB information, they kept the car for about 2 weeks. it took longer because v7 had just come out and they had trouble loading the HW + FW fix on a v7 software, so the folks in California had to make a custom release to get it out

fast forward to last week, I tried 130+ and the same feeling where if felt the car was being limited. I don't know if this is something they forgot to activate, or they didn't load the right FW/SW???

The response I got this time around was "try charging to full and try again"..... frustrating.

I have been waiting for the upgrade to 155 on my December P85D. The car was in for 24K inspection a month ago but I didn't know I had to request to have the speed limit lifted. Last week I was still limited to 131. I would think they would let one know that it may have to be done at SC. Glad I found out here.

to clarify. I already did the TSB you are referring to. this was done late last year after wk057 pointed it out. when i first reported the issue to Tesla, they gave me the following excuses:

1. you are not reading the speed limit correctly, and that sometimes the big dial can lag (I have no idea what they were trying to convey, but this was during v6)
2. "we checked your car remotely, and it's per spec. please try it again"
3. the car goes faster than what the big dial shows (my response was "it's actually the other way around")

Long story short, after I gave them the TSB information, they kept the car for about 2 weeks. it took longer because v7 had just come out and they had trouble loading the HW + FW fix on a v7 software, so the folks in California had to make a custom release to get it out

fast forward to last week, I tried 130+ and the same feeling where if felt the car was being limited. I don't know if this is something they forgot to activate, or they didn't load the right FW/SW???

The response I got this time around was "try charging to full and try again"..... frustrating.
Curious... There has been at least one report (Brianman iirc) that said the FW update to the motor did not take when his was first done. Any other SCs nearby?

In terms of not having enough charge, that can be easily determined by the yellow lines that appear showing you're energy-limited, so that should be an easy one to dismiss as presumably you weren't. Things here are still a little too cold/damp for these speeds on track, and my friendly airfield is on the wrong side of the mountains. Maybe someon in warmer climes can try confirming if there's some glitch introduced on 7.1 (and did you say it was fine before 2.14.66?)?

My CPO Dec '14 insane P85D has been to the service center twice for this exact top speed issue, both times they claimed that the sensor is the updated type and software is proper. I gave them the service bulletin info multiple times but it never gets fixed... And ever since last SC resolution attempt, the car loses all power going to the motors after 130MPH and throws all sorts of horrible codes on the dash. You have to safely pull over and manually reset MCU before you can drive the car again. So now the issue is even worse. I just cant seem to get this issue resolved...

Do you have exact date/time of your run? If it’s within a couple of days detailed logs should be able to be pulled from your car.

The car was listed as 155mph electronically limited with upgrade, though might be related to energy impact on older fuse on battery pack for insane mode... mine has ludicrous with electronic pyro fuse that can sustain 1300A easier

Presuming messages are regarding battery / heat issues? You can’t sustain the 16k rpm and >1300A drain for long ;)

My only remaining suggestion would be attach a camera and video the instrument cluster to see speed and hopefully error messages. Note: I say hopefully as it’s highly likely at this speed any camera will vibrate significantly.