Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Purchase Experience - 17 MX P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since every seems to be having problems, I figure I’ll post my purchase story.

I placed my order on a whim on Sat, April 25th. I was actually shopping for a new Raptor and somehow ended up on the Tesla site. I saw a X that was spec’d exactly how I would order it. Midnight Silver on White, 5 seat with perforation, carbon fiber, FSD, Performance, tow package (for my bikes), 22s, 4/50 warranty, etc. Literally every option. I sent an inquiry and got a call back within 30 mins from the used advisor out of Denver. I didn’t know much about the vehicles so I started doing research and he answered all the questions I had (this was Friday the 24th). The car was listed for 77,300 and I couldn’t find anything else that was similarly spec’d so I felt it was a good price. Regardless, I slept on it and woke up to a price of 76,900. Free 400 bucks? That sounds great...so I placed the order.

After I ordered, I got an email from Tesla with some preliminary info and I called my insurance company to make sure it was good to go. I didn’t get an estimated delivery so I called my advisor on Monday and he told me it looked like the car would be in Tennessee on May 9th (the car had to come from New York). I asked if I could just fly up and drive it home, but apparently that was against the rules.

Fast forward to the following Monday (the 4th), I got an email from Tesla of Brentwood (Nashville) that my car was in and I could pick it up Friday (the 8th) at noon. I show up at noon and a guy tells me that the keys are in it, sign the 3 pages on the clipboard and he will be out in a moment. I sign the pages, program the lock/unlock on my phone, and hand the guy the check for the money. This part took all of 3 mins.

I stay in the parking lot to look the car over and I notice that I can’t find the hitch receiver. The same guy comes back out after about 5 mins to ask if I need any help. He pops of the tow cover and sees that I have the tow package so he goes inside and finds me a new hitch receiver and installs it (important because I planned to go ride today).

All in all, I was at the dealership for prob 15 mins. When I got home, I noticed the rear hatch opened from inside but not when I pressed the button so I’ve set an appointment for have that looked at, as well as the HW3/MCU2 upgrade for this Tuesday.

I spent last night installing the NikolaBros Chrome Delete Kit and my bike rack and I got some good miles in this morning.

All in all, a great experience so far.
784BBD2C-3A74-43A9-92A3-ACE5419A8EA1.jpeg
87553E38-ABCC-4482-AA8D-C9453324DF6E.jpeg
E097C570-32FC-44E9-B3FB-76606D892997.jpeg

Great to hear your positive experience. I am curious if your MX has AP 2.0 or AP 2.5? How did you get Tesla to upgrade your car to AP 3.0 and MCU 2? I have just ordered a 2017 MX100D myself with AP 2.0, and your feedback would be very helpful. Thanks!

Mine is AP2/MCU1. I guess I’ll find out Tuesday. I saw on here that AP2 cars were eligible for the upgrade yesterday morning and I asked when I got to the dealership if I could make an appt, to which they said just make the spot through the app. I have to pay for MCU2 obviously.

Nice X, had similar situation, was shopping around on something else, but found this X price dropped to my price range and spec I wanted, it’s an used 19 100D LR, midnight silver with white, unlimited SC, tow package, etc. It is in local inventory so only took me 6 days from placing order, arrange financing, to taking the “home” delivery. Overall experience is fine, except, you can’t test drive, and can only inspect the vehicle upon delivery which is hard to detect all the imperfection in such short amount of time. Time will tell, but at least it has 4/50 warranty to cover the unexpected.

I just went through a similar experience with a used X, it was going to take 3 weeks to deliver to Texas from a New York facility an be a 2k delivery fee. So instead I had it delivered to New Jersey which was free and only took 4 days, then I flew up and drove it home. Saved myself 1500 after the cost of the flight and hotel and got it 2 weeks sooner. Was a little nervous with my first Tesla trip being a 1800 mile road trip lol but the X performed great and autopilot made the drive a breeze compared to a normal car.

I just went through a similar experience with a used X, it was going to take 3 weeks to deliver to Texas from a New York facility an be a 2k delivery fee. So instead I had it delivered to New Jersey which was free and only took 4 days, then I flew up and drove it home. Saved myself 1500 after the cost of the flight and hotel and got it 2 weeks sooner. Was a little nervous with my first Tesla trip being a 1800 mile road trip lol but the X performed great and autopilot made the drive a breeze compared to a normal car.

They wouldn’t even let me do that with Covid. I wanted to fly up to Jersey but they told me no. Glad you got to make the road trip!

So this is concerning. Are they forcing people to pay the $2K fee because of the pandemic situation or is this going to be a new norm of not wanting people to fly out to locations and instead levy some kind of transport/shipping fee?

So this is concerning. Are they forcing people to pay the $2K fee because of the pandemic situation or is this going to be a new norm of not wanting people to fly out to locations and instead levy some kind of transport/shipping fee?
I'm sure it's no accident they've discovered that shipping can be a nice profit center for them since they pretty much just turn and burn trade-ins and lease returns.

I send cars out to the coasts all the time from TX and it's nowhere near $2,000 to do so on average, I could see that *maybe* for transcontinental trip with enclosed trailer and minimal time delay however.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110