Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Raven P100DL was rear-ended this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the thoughts. Opposite of what I was hoping to read. But, honest comments.

I spoke to the collision shop manager about the car. He says it's pretty unlikely it will be considered totalled. He told me there are a few points of damage (mostly centered around the battery compartment, as far as I can tell) that would render the car totalled. Otherwise, it's a matter of stripping off all the damaged components and rebuilding from there.

I don't have an attorney. Was hoping to avoid that move. Allstate is the other driver's insurance company. They've agreed to provide a "premium" class rental from Enterprise, which equates to something in the range of a Maxima. Hardly what I'd call premium. And that is only if I go through them for the entire claim repair process (and leave my insurance company out of it entirely). I'm not thrilled with that notion, not at least having my insurance company in my corner.

You guys make is sound like all I have to do is ask for a new car and they have to write the check. Is it really that simple? Isn't reality that I have to accept the collision shops recommendations? Anyone have SPECIFIC experience with something like this. Naturally, I'd prefer to just replace the car, since it's essentially still a new vehicle. But is that really my choice?

From my experience when previous car was totaled by under-insured, at-fault driver, Allstate is very professional and fair. They even compensated for window tint and remaining remaining DMV registration. That being said, you are paying your insurance company to represent you. It's their job to manage the process, and Allstate cannot withhold some benefits only if you agree to "work directly with them." I would let your insurance company manage the process, and then get separate legal assistance for diminished value if necessary. With regard to the decision on totaling the car, the body shop was very influential and helped estimate all of the damage, in collaboration with the Allstate appraiser, to get to decision. Ask for their help to really understand the underlying damage and estimate.

Good luck getting it totaled. The number you have to reach for damage to exceed value is crazy. I hit 50 on a 90 thousand dollar vehicle and they wouldn't. They fixed it, I got diminished value and sold it as soon as it was repaired. (5 months later).

Reactions: luke68bird
Thanks for thoughts. The current repair estimate is around $25k. Nowhere near what would be needed from a cash value to total the car. Two minor structural damage issues found around rear passenger tire well. Collision guys sent info to Tesla engineers who said it can be fully repaired. Waiting on one part for this repair. Otherwise all parts are in.

I obtained a diminished value appraisal based on a referral from this site. Appraisal has the DV number at around $22k. I submitted appraisal to Allstate, who unsurprisingly sent me a letter disagreeing with the estimate and requesting to inspect the car. I’ve been advised to let them do inspection and be prepared to argue their reply. Will see how it goes. Hate to have this lead to court.

At this point just want my car back!

Reactions: OrbiterTI4