Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Real World Electrical Cost for Charging TM3 at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah there’s definitely potential hidden savings in switching to the EV rate if you can also switch some other usage to off-peak. It's especially advantageous for people, like us, who already have most of their energy usage during off hours or weekends, but have been too lazy to look into changing to a time-of-use plan.

Our costs are 25% of gas (compared to a 27 mpg/91 octane car, as I mentioned in another thread) but if we instead calculate using how much our electric bill has actually changed after switching to the EV rate and doing laundry/dishwasher off-peak, it’s more like ~10% of gas.

Last edited:
How are you getting your $/mile?

Last row: $129.60/1435 miles = $0.090.

The $129.60 is the total bill, subtract that with my 12 month average of 104.24 to get to what I pay to charge my car based on how much I used to pay with out EV. I using this to show the wallet impact of the EV. Then divided by the mile driven.

(Total Bill - Avg Bill wo/EV) / total mile
(129.60 - 104.24)/1435 = 0.017

I think this a simple way to show how EV and our change in habit impact our budge. It not really the true cost per mile for TM3.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Yeah there’s definitely potential hidden savings in switching to the EV rate if you can also switch some other usage to off-peak. It's especially advantageous for people, like us, who already have most of their energy usage during off hours or weekends, but have been too lazy to look into changing to a time-of-use plan.

Our costs are 25% of gas (compared to a 27 mpg/91 octane car, as I mentioned in another thread) but if we instead calculate using how much our electric bill has actually changed after switching to the EV rate and doing laundry/dishwasher off-peak, it’s more like ~10% of gas.
That exactly why I calculated the $/mile base on our past usage. We made a chart that shows when the peak, off peak and partial-peak rates and post it in the kitchen. We are using this to time when to do laundry and it really help.

Attachments

• 343322CC-F5AA-40FB-A216-C47BBD123EF2.jpeg
    343322CC-F5AA-40FB-A216-C47BBD123EF2.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: jdcollins5