Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S85D and Tesla life at 50K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Three years and a few months ago, I took delivery of a brand new Tesla Model S 85D. Today its odometer passed 50,000 miles! A few stats (as of the end of the day today):

Miles on odometer: 50,069
Lifetime average wH/mi: Somewhere between 312 and 317 (uncertainty due to Tesla technician resetting trip meters without my authorization...grrr)
Door handle replacements: 3
Half-shaft replacements: 1
Superchargers visited: 36
Battery degradation: 270 RM -> 264 RM (about 2%)
Software updates: 43 (from 6.2(2.4.160) to 8.1(2018.26))

Some thoughts:

o No way am I ever going back to an ICE car again. My previous car was a 2005 Toyota Prius, and I'm convinced hybrids are just the "gateway drug" for pure EVs. My Tesla isn't perfect but it's pretty damn awesome...clean, quiet and (of course) fast. Most importantly it's always been drivable and I've never gotten stranded.

o I've used Autopilot since the first day AP1 was available. It's really a game-changer for reducing the workload on long-distance driving, if one takes the time to understand how it works and to use it correctly. (I eat my oranges and drink the water in my water bottles.) It's hard to explain this to someone who hasn't experienced it. Owner training on Autopilot needs improvement, a lot. There might be a role for user groups to play in this area.

o OTA software updates are revolutionary. Since I took delivery, my car has (among other things) gotten quicker, gained autopilot capabilities (including auto-steer, summon, and auto-parking), and gotten a new navigation system. Sometimes there are some regressions though, and some basic software management best practices would really be useful here.

o Tesla has the only charging network that really makes long-distance EV travel practical. Another one of those things that's best understood through experience.

Owning a Tesla has truly been a transformative experience for me. I am not a car guy, but I was surprised to find myself:

o Spending time on a car forum...thanks to all on TMC and the Tesla community in general for all the information, tips, tricks, and experience.

o Talking about my car to, well, anyone.

o Attending a TMC Connect conference. What a great experience to meet people in person, highly recommend doing this if possible.

o Driving 200 miles to meet up with a bunch of other Tesla owners at a Supercharger in the middle of nowhere (Kettleman City, earlier this year).

It's been fun. Looking forward to the next 50,000 miles...

Bruce.

Thanks for the great notes and thoughts Bruce. I too just hit 50k miles on my 85D - although mine was a CPO purchase less than a year ago that had 26k when I bought it....that seems to be the biggest trouble with these cars, I'm driving everywhere just to drive it! :D

This is definitely the best vehicle I've ever purchased.

Awesome post! My first Tesla was a 2015 85D as well and she protected me during a serious accident. I purchased another Model S immediately afterwards and cannot imagine driving any other car, especially an ICE vehicle, ever again. Finally hit 20,000 miles on my new Model S, with zero issues, all 4 original door handles, about 1% battery degradation and lifetime Wh/mi of about 408 (I'm always in Ludi mode :D).

Reactions: ModelX
I've had my S85D about the same amount of time, and last week made a 1600+ mile road trip.

I was struck by the difference from the first time I made the same trip, two years ago.

When I first bought the car, there were no superchargers within range. The first one appeared over 200 miles away to the East, and made my first couple of trips (to the east) possible.

The supercharger in Miner, MO was our gateway to the north out of the great supercharger desert.

Long distance travel required careful planning, charging to 100% pretty much every time, using range mode,and carrying a frunk full of adapters. Sympathetic Nissan dealers were carefully catalogued and called in advance to make sure they'd allow use of their Level 2 chargers.

I got good at drafting behind trucks, and often had to drive slowly to have enough range to safely make the next supercharger.

This time was a completely different experience. I didn't even bring my UMC. I never charged to 100%, because there was no reason to.
I drove the same speeds I would have in an ICE vehicle without worrying about it.

After making the long leg from Memphis to Miner MO, which gave me access to the upper midwest supercharger network, I skipped at least one and often two superchargers on each leg. All without ever charging to 100%. This was a completely different experience.

I was camping in Oshkosh, WI. Two years ago I left the car all day on the level two charger at Bergstrom Nissan. This year, I arrived with over 160 range miles, and topped off at the Oskosh supercharger while making a grocery run. One night I slept in the Tesla with my air mattress because of strong thunderstorms, and used 20 range miles running the AC all night.

My Wh/mile seem noticeably lower than when I first got the car. Weather was good, but with the cruise control at 77mph most of the time I consistenly used less than predicted energy. I'd usually leave a supercharger with a predicted 12-15% at the next planned stop, but never arrived with less than 20%, often significantly more.

Bruce -
I completely agree with you - can't imagine going back to an ICE vehicle now. I recently passed 50,000 miles on my 2015 S 85D and pulled the trigger on the extended warranty. I did have an issue with my main battery pack after 40,000 miles, but Tesla upgraded me to a new 90 pack for free. Only 1 door handle replacement for me (and no half shafts). I recently convinced my wife to switch to a Model 3 so now we are 100% electric!

Thanks, Bruce! From a newer owner, have to echo much of this. I can’t understand the 3 purchasers who ‘don’t want’ or ‘don’t need’ AP. That’s about 50% of the point for me, especially on long trips. :D

I’ve had my MS since Christmas. I am one of those people that don’t want and don’t need AP. My daily commute is 21 miles round trip (10.5 each way) and I don’t use the freeway. Maybe I’m missing something and you can explain why I would want AP?

I’m currently on a road trip and if I had AP and used it, believe me, the nag to put my hands on the wheel would have been constant! :)

I’ve had my MS since Christmas. I am one of those people that don’t want and don’t need AP. My daily commute is 21 miles round trip (10.5 each way) and I don’t use the freeway. Maybe I’m missing something and you can explain why I would want AP?

I’m currently on a road trip and if I had AP and used it, believe me, the nag to put my hands on the wheel would have been constant! :)

I don't want to turn this into yet another Autopilot discussion thread (there are a ton of them here on TMC), but since you asked...

For the case of your daily commute (10 miles, non-freeway), I'd say there's not a huge difference. (Actually I only use AP on freeways or "divided highways" per the manual, so if I were driving your commute there might not be any difference whatsoever.)

To me the benefit comes on longer (say more than 30 miles?) freeway drives...that's what the original AP system was designed for. It frees me from needing to make lots of micro-adjustments with my hands and feet, and it's less mental effort to supervise AP than it is to do the driving manually. It means I can drive longer/farther without feeling fatigued (thus hopefully being more safe). It requires a little investment in time to understand how the system works (and where it's appropriate / inappropriate to use), and a little mental discipline to stay safe and not do unwise things. As I wrote earlier, it's hard to explain (but I could demonstrate to you if we were in the same car).

Thanks to all the other happy owners who replied with their stories too!

Bruce.

This thread is awesome. Am currently on a 3 week family road trip and it’s so far been fantastic with the MS. Left Vancouver BC Jul 21st and rolled into San Diego today via Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas and Phoenix; car didn’t miss a beat and felt no range anxiety the entire time.

Admittedly the last leg today from Yuma to San Diego made me a tiny bit nervous as the estimated final destination percentage kept dropping. Realised this was due to the very strong head winds. Dropped my speed 10 km/h and all good.

Look forward to the run up the coast all the way home.

FYI car just rolled over 50K.

Reactions: Mobius484 and IdaX
We purchased the same car (2015 S85D) and immediately used it for a road trip to the East Coasts of Canada and USA. Destination chargers and a CHAdeMo adapter supplemented a sparse Supercharging network but with planning it all worked and the entire trip was free.

For us the best story to tell about our Tesla is that it runs on sunshine. A small solar array provides enough energy for 25,000 km of free driving each year. We still give test drives and the car continues to amaze after three years.

We retained an ICE vehicle as a 'winter beater' which was a good decision in Canada where brine and salt are over applied. A pragmatic balance was best for us even though we are BEV supporters.

I'd echo the same comments from bmah except I find that Autopilot really shines in stop-and-go traffic. I'm not sure of the nature of your short commute, but if any of that is on a congested freeway (or if you hit construction traffic like we did on a recent road trip), you can just kick back, leave your hand on the wheel and wait it out. I don't even mind congested traffic anymore and come out less-exhausted and less stressed-out than before.

Reactions: SpudLime
I'd echo the same comments from bmah except I find that Autopilot really shines in stop-and-go traffic. I'm not sure of the nature of your short commute, but if any of that is on a congested freeway (or if you hit construction traffic like we did on a recent road trip), you can just kick back, leave your hand on the wheel and wait it out. I don't even mind congested traffic anymore and come out less-exhausted and less stressed-out than before.
Girlfriend is getting a 3 for just this; change to driving via AP to work. The subway here in DC (Metro) is getting worse and worse and commuting is all stop and go. AP in that is wonderful. One misstep in a non-AP car in stop and go and boom. :D

My 2013 S85 (57k miles) will get retired as soon as I get my 'full spec' P3D (...you will see it here for sale in the not too distant future). I have no autopilot, no collision avoidance, no LDW, no folding mirrors, no PDC...but have had a really wonderful 5+ years of driving (and 51 firmware updates). No complaints. I am just ready for a slightly smaller daily driver and all of the safety and EAP features (...and we still have a 2015 S70D for Home Depot or Costco runs). All good.

I also have a 2015 S 85D (Feb 2015). 66,000 miles now.
Very few problems (water in tail light, front camera replaced). No problems with door handles, etc. 100% charge is 261 miles down from 273 when new (4% loss). My lifetime average is 307 Wh/mile.
First long distance trip (two days after I picked it up in Fremont) was from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas down US 395 then through Death Valley. The only SuperCharger on that route was Lone Pine. We just squeaked into Lone pine with 16 miles after a 100% charge at home then made it to Las Vegas SuperCharger with 21 miles. Return trip we stayed in Death Valley and charged at RV outlet. Also stopped in Gardnerville at a L2 public charger to make it back up the hill to Lake Tahoe. (Now there are additional SCs on this route at Gardnerville, Mammoth and Beatty).
Absolutely love the car and will never go back to ICE. Just drive it and smile.

I have a Red 2015 P85DL (March 2015) with 43,000 miles. Fortunate to have had no problems other than that the driver's vanity mirror once came loose from the sun shade. Love the car, which I plan to keep significantly longer. An interior upgrade wouldn't tempt me to replace it -- only possibly a next-generation redesign. People still complement me on the car. I'm glad to have AP and (at least to this point) am glad that it's AP1. More controversially, I'm also glad that the car has the old front end. Finally, I love that it's a large car and love its agility for being such a large car.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK16688