Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Samsung Note ULTRA is too aggresive on the Tesla App.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully someone can help on getting this resolved. I have tried mostly everything on keeping the app alive. Everytime I go next to my car. It does not recognize the app. I have to open the app and have it connect before i can open the car. I have locked the app and keep it alive in the background. i Have also put the app in appps that wont be put to sleep and for some reason the app is still put to sleep. So frustration I had a oneplus 7 pro and it worked flawlessly with my model 3.

Reactions: Gasaraki
i have an unlocked galaxy note 20 ultra 5g. prior to that i had a note 10+ unlocked. both 512gb units. i ave never had the issue you descorbe. your problem is because your app is either optimized, you are using a battery saving profile, or both. the note series has more options than the one plus and if this is your first time with the note series, its easy to miss some settings.

if you have ANY battery saver options turned on, the os will shut down background apps.

also check that the tesla app isn't "optimized" . go to settings - apps - press the 3 dots upper right and select special access. from there select "optimize battery usage". in this screen you will see apps that are andarent optimized. make sure the tesla app isn't optimized.

although i dont need to do this as i have my phone set to max performance, you can also go into settings/battery/app power management/apps that wont be put to sleep. you will also see "sleeping apps" and "deep sleeping apps". after some time has passed since you used your tesla app, check to see if its being pt to sleep there.

The first step to take in these cases is to start by walking up to your car with your phone in your hand rather than in your pocket or tucked in someplace. A common cause of this behavior is simply that the phone/car don't see each other until you take the phone out of your pocket (or get REALLY close). By the time you grab your phone and open the app, the car/phone have finally negotiated and you think it's because you opened the app, but in actuality it was just the delay in the negotiation process.

That's only a possibility, of course. It may be that the phone is in fact killing the app, but it's worth a try to see. Your previous phone may simply have had a better Bluetooth antenna.

i keep my phone in my backpack and have had no problems. ive had 2 phones since i got the car and no issues. since the op has an android and specifically a galaxy note series, if one uses aggressive battery savers or have apps set to optimize,. they will be put to sleep. my suggestions should fix OPs issues and has nothing to do with it being in a pocket ( unless the pocket is lined with tin foil :p ).

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
maybe the OP walks with the phone out anyway? OP did not state one way or the other how they carry the phone.

op has not came back to address if they fully turned off all saving options in the note. the phone being in a pocket is not going to matter that close to the car. i keep the same device in a backpack with other gear that radiates radio waves and the car still IDs the phone.
its easy to verify the settings I mentioned since im a long time user of this series of phones for years and then proceed to the car as normal without having to add extra steps. :)

Perhaps, but approaching the car with the phone out is a very simple experiment, and considering the OP already said they had turned off battery optimizations for the app, it's a reasonable first step.

If you tap the ||| button and then the Tesla logo on the Tesla app, you can choose "Keep open for quick launching" so that the Tesla app is never shut down. This is on the S20+ and S20 Ultra, but I believe the Note has a similar option.

Also, if you have multiple Teslas or other Tesla products, you might need to have the desired car as the active product.

i have an unlocked galaxy note 20 ultra 5g. prior to that i had a note 10+ unlocked. both 512gb units. i ave never had the issue you descorbe. your problem is because your app is either optimized, you are using a battery saving profile, or both. the note series has more options than the one plus and if this is your first time with the note series, its easy to miss some settings.

if you have ANY battery saver options turned on, the os will shut down background apps.

also check that the tesla app isn't "optimized" . go to settings - apps - press the 3 dots upper right and select special access. from there select "optimize battery usage". in this screen you will see apps that are andarent optimized. make sure the tesla app isn't optimized.

although i dont need to do this as i have my phone set to max performance, you can also go into settings/battery/app power management/apps that wont be put to sleep. you will also see "sleeping apps" and "deep sleeping apps". after some time has passed since you used your tesla app, check to see if its being pt to sleep there.

This was the correct answer! Thank you