Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding wall connector on Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue and wanted to post to see if I’m alone or maybe it can help someone.

1. I installed the Tesla Universal wall connector successfully.
  2. Used Tesla One app to commission connector, set up proper breaker, and connect the unit to WiFi successfully.
  3. Went to add wall connector in Tesla app and wasted an hour of my life trying to get the damn thing to work while repeatedly getting errors that the app could not connect to the wall connector. Tried every trick listed on the forum from disconnecting cellular data to putting my phone an inch from the wall connector…
  4. Went and got my wife’s Android phone, installed the Tesla app, logged in, and was able to add the connector to my account in 30 seconds. 🤦
Not sure what the issue is aside from maybe a bug in the iOS Tesla app. The Tesla One app on my iPhone had no issues connecting and the Tesla app on my wife’s android phone had no issues connecting. I’m going to report this to Tesla but if anyone on the forum is having the same issues maybe try an android phone or device.

Reactions: Eric33432
I had this issue and wanted to post to see if I’m alone or maybe it can help someone.

2. Used Tesla One app to commission connector, set up proper breaker, and connect the unit to WiFi successfully.
  3. Went to add wall connector in Tesla app and wasted an hour of my life trying to get the damn thing to work while repeatedly getting errors that the app could not connect to the wall connector. Tried every trick listed on the forum from disconnecting cellular data to putting my phone an inch from the wall connector…
  4. Went and got my wife’s Android phone, installed the Tesla app, logged in, and was able to add the connector to my account in 30 seconds. 🤦
Not sure what the issue is aside from maybe a bug in the iOS Tesla app. The Tesla One app on my iPhone had no issues connecting and the Tesla app on my wife’s android phone had no issues connecting. I’m going to report this to Tesla but if anyone on the forum is having the same issues maybe try an android phone or device.
Over the last couple of months I have tried several times to add my two Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connectors to the Tesla app on my iPhone. Simply will not connect, same issue as you step 3 above, trying all the tricks you mention. I plan to call Tesla to ask them for help, but just have not yet got to it.

I had no problems commissioning them and adding them to my WiFi when I first installed them.

Do not have an Android phone to try what you suggest!

For the sake of troubleshooting, did either of you turn off the "private wi-fi address" feature that iPhones automatically turn on, on a wifi network? You can find it by going to settings--wi-fi, then tapping the "(I)nformation" icon on the right side of the wifi network you are connecting to, then toggling off "private ip address".

I am not looking at other threads on this to see if they suggested this, and I dont know if it will work, but its something you can try to see if it works if you havent already.

Reactions: Eric33432
For the sake of troubleshooting, did either of you turn off the "private wi-fi address" feature that iPhones automatically turn on, on a wifi network? You can find it by going to settings--wi-fi, then tapping the "(I)nformation" icon on the right side of the wifi network you are connecting to, then toggling off "private ip address".

I am not looking at other threads on this to see if they suggested this, and I dont know if it will work, but its something you can try to see if it works if you havent already.
Yes, it is turned on. I will try to do this again, and report back afterward.

Yes, it is turned on. I will try to do this again, and report back afterward.
I just tried again, and was able to successfully add my two Gen 3 wall connectors to my Tesla app.

I am not certain that turning Private Mac Address off is what fixed the problem, because this time, it occurred to me that I should try and create a new location for each wall connector. Previously I was trying to add them to my existing location that has my two Tesla Solar Inverters associated with it, which the app gave me the choice to do in addition to creating a new location. Why it would offer to do that, and then not allow the wall connectors to add to that location seems to me to be a bug in the app.

They each connected and added to the app within seconds. I did not have to turn on airplane mode, turn off cellular data, or do anything special.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

I’ve already put the box with the connection info back in the attic so I’m not gonna pull it all out just try and connect again but I appreciate the suggestion. What I can’t understand is why the Tesla One app would connect with no problem but the regular Tesla app won’t. It goes through the same steps of connecting to the temporary WiFi network. Hopefully your suggestion works for more people because this was really frustrating.

Last edited:
I

If it's any consolation, I've almost given up on connecting mine via Android. My effort perhaps complicated by my not having the Quick Start Guide with the scan code. It's been more than a month now. I was already using Charge HQ, and didn't have a concrete goal for connecting the wall connector.... so have almost forgotten about it.
Would be nice to see the data show up in the app tho.

I just got this problem solved on my iPhone. Tried everything - already had a 2.4g access point (as I learned years ago they work better with my MS). I got everything to work except the connection to the Tesla App. I could ping the WC on my home network, got it to connect to the phone in the commissioning process and set it up using safari and the 192.168.92.1 internal wifi on the WC. But no Tesla app connection and I had to recycle the power to the WC every time I wanted to charge.

I finally got an email from Tesla engineering to delete and reinstall the Tesla app, then cycle power to the charger AND the phone for at lease 5 seconds, then try adding the WC to the app products list. I did this not believing it would work, but it did.