Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY standard, noise in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MY standard on 2/25. Super happy with the car, fit and finish is much better than my Model 3 was.
Am hearing a high pitch wine when I put it in reverse, car is not moving. This wine gets louder as the car starts moving backwards. Noise goes away when put into forward. Never heard this with my Model 3. Very noticeable standing outside the car. My wife said do they have a warning sound when backing up. I don't think so on a private vehicle.
Any thoughts. Thanks

Your wife is correct. The sound you are hearing is to warn pedestrians and others when you are traveling slowly. It will make a sound when the vehicle is in forward or reverse (different sounds) and is traveling less than 18.6 mph. This feature is now required for all new "quiet" production vehicles in the U.S..
Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia
After several additional delays, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.

Last edited: