Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wh/m Spikes in the first mile or so driven 700+ wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my LR AWD 19" Y around a week ago and I am just starting to notice that whenever I start the car and start driving... the first mile or so the wh/m spikes up to vetwen 700-900 (if ac is turned on) and then after a few miles of driving everything seems to stabilize down to normal. Is this a normal occurrence for other owners or is this a service related issue?

Even with the AC turned off it spikes to around 600-700 wh/m
20200817_185700.jpg
20200817_173555.jpg
20200817_173555.jpg
20200817_173708.jpg
20200817_174005.jpg

This is the moving-average of power it takes to change a stationary car weighing a minimum of 4400 lbs to moving 30+ mph. Once you get going, the amount of power it takes to maintain an average speed of 30-50 mph or so is significantly less than what you're seeing when you first start out.

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 stop-n-go's to get to a long enough street or highway segment to balance your power usage out to <=300Wh/mi.

Reactions: Watts_Up
This behaviour had me pretty concerned the first trip I made in the car. I came to the conclusion it is just averaging in the consumption from when the car was sitting idle prior to the trip. In my case at least, this includes a few minutes of A/C runing, fussing with the streaming service, etc.

This behaviour had me pretty concerned the first trip I made in the car. I came to the conclusion it is just averaging in the consumption from when the car was sitting idle prior to the trip. In my case at least, this includes a few minutes of A/C runing, fussing with the streaming service, etc.

It doesn't look like it's averaging the energy used idle before the trip to me. The first time I parked on a hot day, i turned my AC on max 10 minutes before I got to the car. The reported battery Wh/mi wasn't affected. It was quite a shock to see the inside temp was 49 degrees on a hot day as I got to my car though - really liking the phone control over the climate system.

I think it starts charging the 12V battery as well (like the alternator on a gasser).

This is the moving-average of power it takes to change a stationary car weighing a minimum of 4400 lbs to moving 30+ mph. Once you get going, the amount of power it takes to maintain an average speed of 30-50 mph or so is significantly less than what you're seeing when you first start out.

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 stop-n-go's to get to a long enough street or highway segment to balance your power usage out to <=300Wh/mi.

• Informative
Reactions: ftmaybe
The battery/power usage statistics take a few miles to settle down.

You'll also find that on a road trip, the expected arrival percentage isn't very accurate until you've driven 30 or 40 miles, unless you are continuing after a charging stop.

For example, leaving home with 90% charge, the car forecast we'd arrive at the Metter, GA Supercharger (203 miles I-75 & I-16) with 6%, which briefly dropped to 5%, but by the time we were on the south side of Atlanta, the car had changed its forecast to 13%. We arrived with 15%.