Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wheel :'(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went in for service on my 2020 performance to get my taillight replaced and front sensor replaced, after arriving back at my house. I noticed this.. I would of felt/heard something hitting my car on the way home that did this damage..
IMG_20200912_114133.jpg
IMG_20200913_124113.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
I got a wheel with a similar damaged when my car was at the body shop.

They had to remove the wheel and I imagine the wheel must have been flat on the floor and face up with no protection.

Lucky me, I have been taking pictures of the full car just before giving the car.

The body shop of course denied any responsibility, however after showing the pictures they finally agree to fix the wheel.

I have to sign a paper for their own insurance and I noticed an estimate of $185 for painting the wheel.

I had to leave my car for another three days, but the result was perfect.

Last edited:
I hate to say this but I highly recommend this. Always ALWAYS take photos (dated) in the SC lot when you drop off. I also do a walk around video. If you’re really anal interior as well....I’ve had the steering wheel damaged, others scratches on dashes, consoles, damaged headliner etc. Then AGAIN when you pick up before you even get IN the car. Same.....walk around inspecting everything before you put the car in drive to leave. Get any questionable things addressed and explained.
It’s horrible having to even suggest to do this but these are the days we live in. Most SCs will deny everything and say you did it.

Ski

Looks like marks from an impact wrench. Like it jumped and hit the wheel when they where taking of or putting on the tire.

Again, I’m not speculating, who or what did the damage, but what does impact wrench damage usually look like ..?
I get this could be damage from an impact wrench, (as well as many other things), but could this be stated as “could be from an impact wrench” rather than looks like damage from an impact wrench ??

I highly suggest as what others do to take pictures of your car (full 360) before and after you pick up from the service center AT the service center.

They made multiple mistakes with my wheels as well. Example: I had a bent rim requiring replacement, and I also needed a tire rotation. They rotated the tires first, putting the bent rim in the back, then replaced the good rim and leaving the BENT rim in the rear. I was SMH, and they of course denied responsibility until I showed them the pictures I took indicating the exact geometry of the bent rims is still on the car.

the problem with all this speculation is, once a person drives off, it can be EXTREMELY hard to prove that something happened while in the SCs possession.

Even if one doesnt take a ton of pictures (which is not a bad idea) a walk around the car looking for glaring / obvious issues should be done, BEFORE getting in and driving off.

That would have been seen on any walk around before driving off. Now, OP is stuck hoping that someone in the service center will say "Oh yeah, I dropped that wheel / damaged it by doing X" to their boss, vs everyone saying " I dont remember anything like that, must have happened after they drove off".

Tesla could cover it, if they think it happened while they had it, or say "sorry, none of the technicians noticed anything like that on the wheel while it was in our possession. can you so me something that proves it happened while in our possession?" I think it depends on what they think actually happened, but its more likely they ask for proof than they just fix it, imo.

Again, I’m not speculating, who or what did the damage, but what does impact wrench damage usually look like ..?
I get this could be damage from an impact wrench, (as well as many other things), but could this be stated as “could be from an impact wrench” rather than looks like damage from an impact wrench ??
It looks like if I took an impact wrench, and turned it on, had the socket spinning full speed and laid it up against the wheel and the spinning socket cut a groove in the wheel. That’s why it looks rounded on each end. Again, no idea what happened, but I’ve seen enough damage done by power tools that my spidey sense was tingling.
Could you have hit a piece of rebar or a bolt on the highway, sure, but you said you didn’t hear a hit. You would have.

It looks like if I took an impact wrench, and turned it on, had the socket spinning full speed and laid it up against the wheel and the spinning socket cut a groove in the wheel. That’s why it looks rounded on each end. Again, no idea what happened, but I’ve seen enough damage done by power tools that my spidey sense was tingling.
Could you have hit a piece of rebar or a bolt on the highway, sure, but you said you didn’t hear a hit. You would have.
That's what I think.. I can only hope they are helpful ....

Why did they wait until you discovered it???

This OPs statement "they are taking care of it good will" means they are not admitting any guilt or that they did or did not cause it. They are choosing to fix it "good will" and believe the OP at his statement that he didnt do it.

Basically, its good customer service when they dont have to, something tesla does fairly often but doesnt get as much attention as when they do something else.

Kudos for tesla helping this OP out, without making him fight for it.

is that on the driver's or passenger side? if on the passenger's side, it's doubtful it was done on the road, because that one indention has the bulge towards the front. If you hit something and it was rotating towards it, it would not bulge in the direction of the impact, it would bulge facing away from the impact.

is that on the driver's or passenger side? if on the passenger's side, it's doubtful it was done on the road, because that one indention has the bulge towards the front. If you hit something and it was rotating towards it, it would not bulge in the direction of the impact, it would bulge facing away from the impact.
Passenger rear wheel