Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Range Towing a Small Utility Trailer with a Quad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have experience with the range pulling a small 10' utility trailer with a smaller quad on it (about 600lb)? The trailer is about 600lbs so it would be a load of around 1,200 pounds but the trailer has the rear gate/ramp so obviously there's going to be some extra wind resistance.

Its 120km one direction with the empty trailer and then would be 120km back with the quad on the back (mostly highway so very little start/stop) - so need to be able to get 240km. Absolutely no places you can stop to charge along the way. I'm debating having somebody bring the trailer with the quad home for me, i've never attached the trailer before so I have no idea how much it'll affect efficiency.

Anybody with experience?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-16 113354.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-16 113354.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
We have towed quite a bit with our 2021 MYLR: 4' x 8' utility trailer (900 lbs empty, 3,500 lbs gross), 24' trimaran sailboat (2,900 lbs including trailer), and 17' travel trailer (3,000 lbs). No issues. Range loss is about 40%, regardless of what we're towing. I'm not sure how "tow mode" works, but I suspect it uses both motors all the time, resulting in less range. Tow mode is activated when you plug in trailer lights. We haven't seen any difference with lighter loads.

I'm not sure how "tow mode" works, but I suspect it uses both motors all the time, resulting in less range.

You may be able to hear the front motor making a whining noise, this is more easy to notice at low speed.
It's like when the car uses the front motor to preheat the battery before going to a supercharger.

However, I think the front is activated only when the car needs it, like for extra boost for high acceleration,
or when the car looses grip, but even the Tesla Snow or Icy road mode don't lock the front motor.

I noticed that the KIA EV6 uses both front and rear motors when towing.