Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing Travel Trailer range reduction.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2023 Model X and are purchasing a 2023 Airstream Basecamp 16X REI special edition. At some point we plan on driving from Washington State to South Dakota mostly on Interstate 90 so a mix of Mt passes and high plains. We have done this trip several times in previous Tesla’s but not towing a trailer. This trailer at 16.2 feet has a GVW of 3500 pounds. Anyone have experience towing a similar trailer that can give us some feedback. Thanks

We have a 2023 Model X and are purchasing a 2023 Airstream Basecamp 16X REI special edition. At some point we plan on driving from Washington State to South Dakota mostly on Interstate 90 so a mix of Mt passes and high plains. We have done this trip several times in previous Tesla’s but not towing a trailer. This trailer at 16.2 feet has a GVW of 3500 pounds. Anyone have experience towing a similar trailer that can give us some feedback. Thanks
50% reduction if you are LUCKY, I get that drop towing my teardrop. With the Airstream, expect more like 30-40%. On a Full charge, my 24 ft cargo trailer gets me, on NON-FREEWAY, 70 miles.

We too have a 2023 Model X. Our travel trailer is similar shape to an Airstream, but ours is a 21' model. You can see our RV here (ours is 2014, but not much has changed). Our longest stretch between Superchargers we've driven is 205 km (127 miles) with 236m (673') elevation difference between the superchargers. In the uphill direction we left the Supercharger at 99%, kept the speed around 95-100 km/h (60-62 mph) most of the way until it was apparent we'd easily make it then sped up. Made it in to the Edson Supercharger with 13% doing that. Drove about 105 km/h with no worries on the reverse route because net downhill and slight tailwind.

Hope this helps.

IMG-5542.jpg

IMG-5561.jpg

The Airstream Basecamp is a different kind of Airstream, so I am unfamiliar with the aerodynamics. It has more of a teardrop shape, but thankfully doesn't have a rapid drop-off. Many teardrops look at a lot more aerodynamic than they are, because they curve down too sharply and create a vacuum behind. That's why many people get poorer efficiency with them than they expect.

Your 16' Basecamp has a frontal width of 7' and a height of about 8' not including the AC unit. These are also favorable dimensions. My 22' Sport has a width of 7'3" and a height of about 9' not including the AC unit. I generally get about 50% of my range when traveling at speed (58-60mph). My Sport has radius edges which helps tremendously with aerodynamics, but my guess is you'll fare slightly better, especially through mountain passes. @ngng is correct - napkin of 50% is probably a good bet, but obviously quite different with elevation.

Hope this helps.

Hi! I'm looking to get a little advice. I'm looking to rent this: Rent my 2021 Keystone Bullet crossfire 1700BH from $130/night | RVezy

I don't have any towing experience with a Tesla. Any thoughts on how I should plan to make my charging stops? I'll be renting from Kamloops BC to Banff, Jasper, Clearwater, and returning to Kamloops.

Thanks in advance. 2022 Model X LR
Plan for about 40% of the range you'd usually have, including elevation. Make sure you have charging stops or camping stops with electricity hookups along the way. And if the campgrounds are private, I recommend calling ahead to make sure they'll allow you to plug your vehicle in.

I have been along this route in 2017 with our X90D and Airstream, when there were significantly less Supercharger stops, and it worked out wonderfully. You'll have a great time.

Plan for about 40% of the range you'd usually have, including elevation. Make sure you have charging stops or camping stops with electricity hookups along the way. And if the campgrounds are private, I recommend calling ahead to make sure they'll allow you to plug your vehicle in.

I have been along this route in 2017 with our X90D and Airstream, when there were significantly less Supercharger stops, and it worked out wonderfully. You'll have a great time.
Thank you! I think the only concern I have is the route from Lake Louise Campgrounds (which will have 50 amp plugin) to Jasper, the next level 3 charger available. It's about 233 KM, with one possible level 2 charger in the middle at the Sasketchewan River Crossing to get me through a bit. I'd imagine I'd have to just take it slower than normal to conserve power to make that trek without running out of juice.

Reactions: ohmman
Thank you! I think the only concern I have is the route from Lake Louise Campgrounds (which will have 50 amp plugin) to Jasper, the next level 3 charger available. It's about 233 KM, with one possible level 2 charger in the middle at the Sasketchewan River Crossing to get me through a bit. I'd imagine I'd have to just take it slower than normal to conserve power to make that trek without running out of juice.
Slower makes an enormous difference. And remember you always have the ability to drop the camper/trailer somewhere along the way, drive to the charger untethered, charge, and come back to pick up the extra weight. It's a "worst case scenario" but it's always an option, especially if you can leave someone with the camper.

Remember also the old EV adage - go slower to get there faster. Especially important to start slow, and once you're closer to the destination you can always speed up if you have excess range. 233km is definitely on the top end, especially with the shape of the caravan you're renting, so just keep it slow and careful. You do lose some elevation, which will be beneficial.

Enjoy the vacation, love that area of the world.

I’ve towed a 21 foot Safari Condo (2995 lbs) about 30,000 miles with my 2019 X, and am heading to Vancouver Island this summer from Maine.

Make sure you are driving at the lesser of 55 mph or the speed limit. I’ve gotten to 150+ miles a few times, but generally 125 is the max feasible (99% to 5%).

I had to drive at 45 mph on one stretch of 70 mph highway to get to my next charger. (30 mph headwind was not helpful).

Go have fun! We love our trips.