Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2023 Winter wheel sanity check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community :)

Nice to meet you! I'm about to purchase wheels and winter tires for my Model Y Performance 2023. Would it fit the break pads?

Can you guys acknowledge my sanity check?

- Wheel: R241 19 x 9.5 (R241-1995-65BT+35C702)
- Tires: 225/55R19

Also, can you guys confirm me that there's no Tesla warranty issue?

Thanks!

What brand, model tire?

All-season tires for the Performance Model Y should have a W or Y speed rating; Some winter tires are available in a V speed rating. Tesla specifies the Load Index for the tires for the Model Y is as 98 (front), 103 (rear). What is the Load Index of the tire you are considering.

Tesla Service may not install non-Tesla wheels onto the Tesla vehicle.

You could ask a local tire shop/chain familiar with the Performance Model Y for their recommendation.

Any good place in Ottawa to get Winter tires set for Model Y?

Tire Question as this is My first "winter" (getting colder here in NJ but not quite winter yet) with my Tesla MYP. After the car was sitting in my driveway for several days as the weather got colder, I got a tire pressure warning light on my display when I first got back in the car. It was showing the pressure was about 37/38 psi in each tire and it should be 42. I went to the local service station and filled the tires up to 42. No issues since. Is this normal during the colder weather? Was it because I hadn't used the car for several days? Any winter tips to maintain proper tire pressure? Thanks.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Tire Question as this is My first "winter" (getting colder here in NJ but not quite winter yet) with my Tesla MYP. After the car was sitting in my driveway for several days as the weather got colder, I got a tire pressure warning light on my display when I first got back in the car. It was showing the pressure was about 37/38 psi in each tire and it should be 42. I went to the local service station and filled the tires up to 42. No issues since. Is this normal during the colder weather? Was it because I hadn't used the car for several days? Any winter tips to maintain proper tire pressure? Thanks.
It is normal for tire pressure to change with the change in ambient air temperature. Expect to lose 1 to 2 PSI of tire pressure for every 10 degree drop in outside air temperature. Always check tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least several hours, not parked in direct sun. (Tip: Add an extra 2 to 3 PSI now so was the temperature continues to fall you don't have to add more air to the tires. 42 PSI is the recommended pressure. There is no issue if the tire is inflated a few pounds lower or higher for comfort or due to anticipated temperature change.)

In the spring, as the outside temperature rises you will want to bleed off some of the air in the tire (1 to 2 PSI) to account for the tire pressure increase as it gets warmer.

Invest in a good tire pressure gauge that is accurate to within +/- 1 PSI. I prefer using an analog gauge but there are also digital tire pressure gauges. (Also purchase a tire tread depth gauge that reads in 32nds of an inch as these are under $10. The tread depth gauge will help you determine when to rotate the tires or if the tires are wearing unevenly (inner, center, outer tread) as excessive/uneven tire wear indicates that the vehicle requires a 4 wheel alignment.)

The Tesla Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors will go to sleep when the Tesla vehicle is stopped, parked to conserve the TPMS sensor battery. You need to drive a short distance before the TPMS will provide an updated readout. (In my experience the Tesla TPMS is accurate to within 1 PSI but does not always provide exactly the same readout for all four tires at a given time (the difference when starting to drive is always within 1 PSI of the other tire or tires (verified set to the same pressure with my tire pressure gauge.) This may be due to interference in the TMPS receiver.

After being driven warm tires can read 4 or 5 PSI above the cold tire pressure. This is normal. Also, the front tires may read higher by a few PSI than the rear tires when the tires are warm. This is why it is important to check, set tire pressure when vehicle has been stationary, not after being driven more than approx. 1/2 mile and not when parked in direct sun. (Early in the A.M. is a good time to check, set the tire pressure.)

If the Tesla TPMS displays one tire as being lower than the other tires (by more than 1 to 2 PSI) when you have recently set all tires to the same tire pressure then suspect leak in the tire. (The most likely source of the air leak will be a puncture but could also be caused by dirt in the tire valve stem or a bad seal where the tire bead seats on the wheel. A tire shop should be able to quickly identify the source of the leak.)

There are many battery powered and 12V powered tire inflators available to help you keep your tires properly inflated without having to drive to a service station. (WaWa locations that sell gas also have air hoses for inflating tires.)

Last edited:
Hello Tesla Community :)

Nice to meet you! I'm about to purchase wheels and winter tires for my Model Y Performance 2023. Would it fit the break pads?

Can you guys acknowledge my sanity check?

- Wheel: R241 19 x 9.5 (R241-1995-65BT+35C702)
- Tires: 225/55R19

Also, can you guys confirm me that there's no Tesla warranty issue?

Thanks!
You can't fit 225/55/19 tires on a 9.5" rim. Max is 8" rim.

You should use the stock size, 255/45/19 on the stock size 19x9.5 rim. I use that size and it works very well in the snow.

I realize you want as skinny a tire as possible for deep snow. However, a 9.5" rim is wide. 235/40/19 would fit but it's a slight stretch. Range is 8-9.5".

Jcanoe, thank you very much for the detailed and clear explanation! I will definitely go out and buy a good tire pressure gauge (I had to borrow one at the service station because mine wasn't working) and tread depth gauge. At what level of "uneven tread wear" is a tire rotation needed? Is it based on mileage of the tires at all? Thanks again.

Jcanoe, thank you very much for the detailed and clear explanation! I will definitely go out and buy a good tire pressure gauge (I had to borrow one at the service station because mine wasn't working) and tread depth gauge. At what level of "uneven tread wear" is a tire rotation needed? Is it based on mileage of the tires at all? Thanks again.
You rotate all car tires at around 6,000 miles. So every 6k, rotate. These cars are RWD biased, so the rears will wear quicker. Rotate front to back, taking into account any tire direction requirements.

Buy an Accutire gauge. I have found most others to be off.

Reactions: Luvtoride
Tesla recommends tire rotation, front to back (except for the Performance Model Y with the staggered 9.5" and 10.5" width wheels) every 10,000 km or 6250 miles, else when the difference between the front tires and rear tires exceeds 2/32nds of an inch. Also, the Tesla Model Y will sense the difference in tire rotation, front and rear, and display a notification that it is time to rotate the tires. (You can open a Service Request in the Tesla app for tire rotation. The Tesla Mobile Service technician will measure the tire tread depth and if within 2/32nds of an inch may decline to perform the rotation until a later time.)

Recently bought a set of Fast Ev01+ 18 x 8.5 - ET40 Pair with Michelin Latitude Alpine 255/55/18

It Fits the Model Y Performance.... Clear the front and rear caliper.

Not all 18inch will fit the Rear of a MYP... because of how the emergency brake actuator is mounted... some rims might not clear it

1668535853690.png

1668535776040.png

Snow drift, do you recommend doing the tire rotation at Tesla service or can any service station do it?
EDIT: As caught by @ZuleMYP your rims/tires are staggered (wider in the rear). You can only rotate left to right, not front to back. You might want to do it if you see uneven wearing. Outside of that, you'll just wear the tires quicker and then get new ones.

You can do it at home (be aware you have to buy a bunch of stuff, I had to bc my wife gets flats all the time), at Tesla SC or any reputable tire place. Just be aware for non-Tesla locations, and yourself, you can't use a normal jack or a normal car lift. They need to understand Tesla requirements (similar to Porsche, Alfa Romeo and Corvette).

I get my tires mounted/balanced by Tesla for seasonal changes. They are a little expensive, but it's about peace of mind. When they switch my tires they rotate also.

Last edited:
Snow drift, do you recommend doing the tire rotation at Tesla service or can any service station do it?
If you have a MYP you need to be sure you have a square setup before you rotate your tires. Side to side isn't worth the hassle unless you have an alignment issue. You only rotate front to back if you have the same size in front as in the back. But the MYP stock has different sizes.

If you have a MYP you need to be sure you have a square setup before you rotate your tires. Side to side isn't worth the hassle unless you have an alignment issue. You only rotate front to back if you have the same size in front as in the back. But the MYP stock has different sizes.
Yes, sorry I did not realize MYP had staggered setup. I'd still swap left to right, especially the fronts turning more one direction than the other, causing wear. My Giulia has staggered rims/tires as well.