Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP driving in the sand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ridden Pismo and Oregon coast beaches on the wet pack sand to a little softer w/20" Inductions; but venture too much and down you go in quick sand. It's hella fun, stares, smirks and smiles. Overland TSportline package and 6"Airsuspension would be ideal fat wide tires is ideal for sand, as stated previously you need not dig in the sand with mud/snow tires.
What was the entry and specifically the exit conditions like?
Many times the access points are loose fine sand that builds up inside those deeply rutted surfaces made by much more capable vehicles playing.

Would like to see video of what one of these heavy vehicles are capable of coping with in sandy conditions, if just to see how well they can cope. Even drying hardpack seems like it could cause trouble for the less experienced in a vehicle with these attributes.

Reactions: Skavatar
I own a property in the California desert. The road leading to it is bumpy, sandy and about 3/4 mile long. It's mostly flat. Most cars have no trouble with it. I'm considering a new car and wondered if anyone has driven a Y model on soft sand. I would never consider going off road with it, other than that, but wondered if a Tesla Y would have any problem. I do know that a guy accidentally took a wrong turn out there in their Tesla and made it to his destination going over some very soft sand, without issue. Did he just get lucky? I know little to nothing about Teslas (yet). Thanks.

I own a property in the California desert. The road leading to it is bumpy, sandy and about 3/4 mile long. It's mostly flat. Most cars have no trouble with it. I'm considering a new car and wondered if anyone has driven a Y model on soft sand. I would never consider going off road with it, other than that, but wondered if a Tesla Y would have any problem. I do know that a guy accidentally took a wrong turn out there in their Tesla and made it to his destination going over some very soft sand, without issue. Did he just get lucky? I know little to nothing about Teslas (yet). Thanks.

(moderator note)

Moved new thread into existing one on driving in the sand.

Drove my Y Perf in the sand (both wet pack and very soft sand) at Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes last week with lots of funny looks from people. Aside from not being able to clean up all of the beach sand in my interior, I would recommend it. Just be sure to wash off the undercarriage afterwards.

I swapped in 19" Geminis with stock Continentals, aired down to 15psi, and it was surprisingly difficult to get stuck unless climbing a slope. With off-road assist or track mode, nobody should worry about getting stuck. The major limitation with the Y is the ground clearance (~6 inches or so).

• Helpful
Reactions: Skavatar