Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP: Should I swap out Uberturbine wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest opinion, should I change my 21 Uberturbine wheels to 19 or 20s? If I were, which wheel/tire set should I consider? Looks like most Uberturbine sets are selling around $2500 but if I were to buy a new set from TSportline it costs about $4000 out the door. Not too sure I'm keen on spending an additional $1500.

Is the whole thing about stiffer ride and more susceptible to road damage blown out of proportion? Should I just drive my 21s into the ground before I consider changing to new wheels?

Honest opinion, should I change my 21 Uberturbine wheels to 19 or 20s? If I were, which wheel/tire set should I consider? Looks like most Uberturbine sets are selling around $2500 but if I were to buy a new set from TSportline it costs about $4000 out the door. Not too sure I'm keen on spending an additional $1500.

Is the whole thing about stiffer ride and more susceptible to road damage blown out of proportion? Should I just drive my 21s into the ground before I consider changing to new wheels?
I actually went the other way and swapped Gemini for Uberturbines.
Uberturbines are stiffer but feels like you drive on rails.
My wife didn't like that ride got stiffer so I got TSportline 19 inch wheels with Michelin A/S tires. I felt that it was a decent improvement vs Gemini 19 stock. After putting 7k on the car I feel like suspension is not as stiff as it was when new so Uberturbines are back on MY for now.

Disadvantage - Uberturbines are not square set up, so you can't rotate them, from what I've seen here rear tires go out about 15k. So lifespan is definitely smaller. Also people swap it for Martian Wheels which are the lightest set and not crazy expensive. Uberturbines are very heavy wheels but loss of 20-30 miles is not noticeable for me.
With TSportline you can get 19 or 20 inch wheels with square set up and rotate them every 6500 miles, should last you 50-60k.
So these $1500 you spend to get TSportline will pay off in next 15-30k when you will need a new $1600 set of tires for Uberturbines :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's my experience with wheels:
1. Uberturbines. Firm ride but expected because its the performance model.
2. Switched to 19" TSportsline rims and Sotozero winter tires. Ride was a bit smoother than the factory Pirelli summer tires with Uberturbines but not night and day different. Honestly, I expected a bigger change given how many people switch to smaller rims to increase ride quality.
3. Summer again - switched to 21" lightweight Signature Forged rims with the factory Pirelli tires. These wheels are 14 lbs lighter than the Uberturbines each wheel! They feel even smoother than the 19" TSportline. These are a big difference over factory.

Moral of the story - wheel weight makes a much bigger difference than sidewall height.

I'm in LA and never see the snow, and I like the look of 21" wheels on the car, so I went with a 21" T Sportline square setup. This way I can rotate my tires and buy the same size for each one.

Coming from a Model 3 that had 20" Performance wheels and Eibach springs, my wife thinks the Model Y on the factory Performance springs and 21" wheels is like floating on a cloud :p

Reactions: Ruffles
I've got 21s for sale and may remove them after getting the car. I LOVE the look of the 21s on this car. And I expected the "harshness" to be much worse based on reading this forum. It rides just fine. When you start looking around all the Audis, Range rovers, etc.... soo many 21s out there. Yes, I understand the low profile version of the argument.

Yup, the UTs are heavy, but even if you optimize the wheels you still won't be as fast as a ludricous any other model. But any Y, P or LR, will rocket past just about any other car that's not on a track or drag strip so just depends what you're after. I just think these cars look great with UTs (large face to them). To me, they look better than Inductions. Now as for tire wear, that's a bigger issue than wheel size.

Yea I made the jump. Purchased the TSportline 19" TSV with Michelin AS4 tires. Yea I know I'm probably overpaying by a couple hundred by buying it as a set but it saves me time and convenience. I can just pop on the new tires when they arrive for me.

So if anyone is looking for a < 10 mile 21" Uberturbine set with TPMS in Southern California let me know.

Reactions: zpaul
Hello, may be you have an answer to this scenario : buy new rims 9.5J and 10.5J and keep the original 255/35/R21 and 275/35/R21. I don’t know if i buy the same 9.5 and 10.5 rims just like the original Uberturbines, it will not be the same thing and the new rims will stick out of the tires?
How can i figure this out?
It's the 21" uberturbines with a problem? Should i buy 9J for the fronts with OEM 255/35/R21 tires and 10J for the rears with OEM 275/35/R21?. And if i do this, should the ET be the same?
I wanna get rid of that rim sticking out of the tire.
Thanks

Hello, may be you have an answer to this scenario : buy new rims 9.5J and 10.5J and keep the original 255/35/R21 and 275/35/R21. I don’t know if i buy the same 9.5 and 10.5 rims just like the original Uberturbines, it will not be the same thing and the new rims will stick out of the tires?
How can i figure this out?
It's the 21" uberturbines with a problem? Should i buy 9J for the fronts with OEM 255/35/R21 tires and 10J for the rears with OEM 275/35/R21?. And if i do this, should the ET be the same?
I wanna get rid of that rim sticking out of the tire.
Thanks
Get a narrower wheel. These are the factory tires on wheels that are .5 inch narrower than the Uberturbines. You can see the wheel sticks out less.
20210302_164957.jpg

I'm dumping my Uberturbines for a set of Stance SF03s rotary forged wheels in gloss black, 19"x8.5" front and rear. Michelin 255/45-19s. Want a higher sidewall, rim protection, ability to rotate tires (f/r), and lighter wheels for quicker acceleration (the SF03s weigh in at 24lb). I'll post pics later.

Attachments

• sf03.jpg
    sf03.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: SpicyPaneer