Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Wheel/Tire analysis paralysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery on a MYP today, my goodness what a vehicle. The alternative was my dad dream car: the Mercedes E63S AMG Wagon....so my wife is very happy we "settled" on MYP!

Anyway, I am having something of a crisis of wheel choices. The 21" Uberturbines, while incredible looking, have to go. I'm a skier and do a lot of road trips up to very snowy areas (like northern Vermont), so plan to have two sets of wheels and tires. My priorities are ride quality, not wrecking my wheels on lousy roads, and range.

My original plan was to get a new 18" set from TSportline or Martian for the three seasons, and then find a used set of similar 18" wheels to mount winter tires on. However, I just discovered that the 19" Gemini wheels fit the MYP, can be had very cheap used, and will take aftermarket hubcaps (be honest--do those look tacky?). So then I thought I'd get a set of those for the winters, but then would it be weird if I ran 18" in the summer and 19" in the winter?

As for tires, it seems that the 19s on average cost about 20% more than 18s with similar selection.

Am I overthinking this? Does anyone have any input or guidance that can help push the decision? All responses appreciated!

When I ordered my 2022 MYP I knew going in I wanted 19s or 18s, but last year when I was looking 19s Gemin’s the few I could find all cost more (with shipping) than the complete set of 18s from TSportLine during a sale. So I bought 18s from TSportLine and retired the 21s UTs. Best decision, better efficiency (close to my 2020 LR AWD Y) and faster. My DRAGY recorded an 11.89 1/4 and 0 to 60 improved by .1 seconds. And I no longer fear potholes/curbs, can rotate them, rides better and I like the look of the Model S Trubine styled wheels.

ADDED COMMENTS: I now have 93xx miles on my 2022 MPY, the first 25xx we’re on the 21s which included a 2K road trip. The main difference in efficiency gains happen in CITY/RURAL speeds As my DD. My wh/mi on 21s averaged 30x, on the 18s it’s 25x. The 21s seem to be pretty efficient at highway speeds, on my 2K road trip I recorded 307 wh/mi. On the same trip with the 18s it only dropped to 287 wh/mi.

So good luck finding some preowned 19s, but I would recommend the 18s from TSportLine if you can get them on a sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deaf Paul
Wheel haven has 7% off on EV wheels collection

I have an AWD LR Y and not a performance, but am very happy with these 18" tires from Tsportline. TST 18" Tesla Model Y Wheel (Set of 4)
Thanks, I’ve been looking at these and probably going to pull the trigger. Do you not care about the offset in speedometer and odometer? From my research, it seems like all cars have an acceptable margin of error anyways, and changing tire sizes impacts all vehicles. That’s the part I need to mentally accept is that there is no setting for the wheel size and knowing my speedometer/odometer might be slightly off.

Thanks, I’ve been looking at these and probably going to pull the trigger. Do you not care about the offset in speedometer and odometer? From my research, it seems like all cars have an acceptable margin of error anyways, and changing tire sizes impacts all vehicles. That’s the part I need to mentally accept is that there is no setting for the wheel size and knowing my speedometer/odometer might be slightly off.
There is an offset when comparing speedometer to GPS, but it’s just 2%

Still trying to get figment feedback for MYP of
F 275/40/21 and R 315/40/21
Bueller anyone?
Unnecessarily big sidewalls, and heavy ass tires on even heavier wheels. You should've gotten a ford expedition at that point. Lol

Here is 305/30/21

Attachments

• 20230725_113709.jpg
    20230725_113709.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 164
I know the vehicle fits 275 front and 295 rear
Saw someone did 305 rear
Seeing if 315 is the max

I’ve had many trucks and know off road 35s
No application here on a Tesla
Expanding the sport Ute of the MY
Know rhe difference, not looking for below