Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Tesla sunroof screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed Tesla finally has a sunroof screen offered through their website. Down in South Texas, where it was 86 degrees today, I've been waiting for this to come out. I've seen the 3rd party ones but wanted to ask has anyone purchased the Tesla one yet? I just bought one.

(sorry just noticed, I posted this in the wrong category, should be under interior but don't know how to move this there)

Last edited:
Just noticed Tesla finally has a sunroof screen offered through their website. Down in South Texas, where it was 86 degrees today, I've been waiting for this to come out. I've seen the 3rd party ones but wanted to ask has anyone purchased the Tesla one yet? I just bought one.

(sorry just noticed, I posted this in the wrong category, should be under interior but don't know how to move this there)
Just self report the post/thread and ask the Mod to move it to the correct forum.

Reactions: 1835Texas
I got mine a week or so ago (and started another thread here - look for OEM Roof Shade) and like it. It does not look the same as the third party options as this uses the same mesh as the hatch shade they offer. It sags slightly, but not as bad as the Tasmanian one I have. You can actually see through this one as well. I'm not sure how much less effective it will be though as a result. It's already off the car until Spring.
OEM Roof Shade.jpg

I got mine a week or so ago (and started another thread here - look for OEM Roof Shade) and like it. It does not look the same as the third party options as this uses the same mesh as the hatch shade they offer. It sags slightly, but not as bad as the Tasmanian one I have. You can actually see through this one as well. I'm not sure how much less effective it will be though as a result. It's already off the car until Spring.
View attachment 749327

I like the look of this but I'm conflicted. I keep seeing reports that the Model Y roof already has UV/IR blocking film and doesn't need anything. And I've even seen mention here in the threads that film installers won't install on the Model Y roof.

Does anyone know if this great looking sunshade is really required or not? I'm in the Central Valley of California (north of Fresno); not as hot as Phoenix, but close sometimes.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I like the look of this but I'm conflicted. I keep seeing reports that the Model Y roof already has UV/IR blocking film and doesn't need anything. And I've even seen mention here in the threads that film installers won't install on the Model Y roof.

Does anyone know if this great looking sunshade is really required or not? I'm in the Central Valley of California (north of Fresno); not as hot as Phoenix, but close sometimes.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
A sunshade can help diffuse the sun's ray's. If you have a bare head then you will immediately notice the difference a sunshade makes. You can wait until spring, there are at least a dozen vendors + Amazon sellers offering similar sun shades for the Tesla Model Y.

Thanks,

Scott

--

No need to be conflicted, if you need one you will know. The IR blocking already there works very well against solar heat gain, but it does nothing for the physical heat radiated from a large piece of glass that is heat soaked from the sun (it gets HOT). Personally, I would suggest one unless your car is almost always under covered parking. Otherwise, you will feel that the temperatures are warmer the closer you get to the roof, and the AC will work harder. To each their own though.

The Tesla option is double or more than the other options available, but it is the only one I've seen that doesn't remove the feel of the open roof.

Reactions: e645824