Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ stopped working this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone experienced this problem with myQ?

this just started this past monday, jan 29.

when pulling up or pulling away, myQ will show up on the screen saying that it is opening or closing the garage, but nothing is happening.

the garage isn't opening or closing at all even though it says so on the screen.

yesterday i drove far away enough from the house until it says it is closing. i put the car in park and waited...10 minutes goes by and still doesn't close.

screen still showing that it's closing.

same when pulling up to the house and trying to open.

what's weird is that my garage has been opening up on it's own at night. once at 1am and another at 11pm.

thinking that myQ finally transmitted through the vehicle after a 3-4 hour delay of it already being parked at home.

I'm coming up on the last few days of the myQ trial. It initially worked as expected but last week it failed to open my door upon arriving home several times. ERROR was shown on my touchscreen where Open or Closed is normally displayed.

Nothing I did on my touchscreen could get it out of that ERROR state. My iPhone myQ app still worked and after I used it to open the door, the ERROR went away and it worked. Chamberlain and Tesla support had me reboot, relink and reinstall everything and both blamed the other. They both said diagnostics from their side showed no problem. Neither could extend my free trial.

It hasn't failed again, yet. I've read the complaints on TMC about myQ, but they've tapered off lately, so I thought maybe the FW was finally working. But maybe not!

I've had 3 Chamberlain Openers and used myQ on my iPhone for over 10 years without a problem, so I'm on the fence about what to do. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mine was working great for over a year. 2 days ago it began malfunctioning. Won't open or close though acting like it is with the illustration on the screen appearing as normal. If I wait long enough, the illustration stops and I'm given the opportunity to press open or close on the UI and it works most of the time. This tells me it's still in communication with the MyQ. Not sure why it has suddenly stopped working correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled but so far still no good. I'm assuming a recent update is causing this since that is usually the answer so I'm hoping it gets resolved because it's nothing but infuriating right now. I am willing to pony up the $45 yearly fee but only if it works as intended.

Mine was working great for over a year. 2 days ago it began malfunctioning. Won't open or close though acting like it is with the illustration on the screen appearing as normal. If I wait long enough, the illustration stops and I'm given the opportunity to press open or close on the UI and it works most of the time. This tells me it's still in communication with the MyQ. Not sure why it has suddenly stopped working correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled but so far still no good. I'm assuming a recent update is causing this since that is usually the answer so I'm hoping it gets resolved because it's nothing but infuriating right now. I am willing to pony up the $45 yearly fee but only if it works as intended.
After my free trial expired, I didn't pay. I switched to HomeLink as I've used on my last 2 Teslas for 10 years and it's solid. I also use the free myQ app on my iPhone for alerts and remote access and it doesn't conflict with HomeLink.

My opinion - Something inherent about the myQ-Tesla real-time Internet application causes it to intermittently fail. If they fix it, they will probably reach out to folks that tried it but didn't pay and offer them another free trial. The ball is in their court.

Last edited:
has anyone experienced this problem with myQ?

this just started this past monday, jan 29.

when pulling up or pulling away, myQ will show up on the screen saying that it is opening or closing the garage, but nothing is happening.

the garage isn't opening or closing at all even though it says so on the screen.

yesterday i drove far away enough from the house until it says it is closing. i put the car in park and waited...10 minutes goes by and still doesn't close.

screen still showing that it's closing.

same when pulling up to the house and trying to open.

what's weird is that my garage has been opening up on it's own at night. once at 1am and another at 11pm.

thinking that myQ finally transmitted through the vehicle after a 3-4 hour delay of it already being parked at home.
I have the same, exact issue. 2023 MY Perf, on 2024.8.7. The worst part is the unexpected opening of the garage door at 2am.

yea, i'm in the trial on a new 2024 model 3.
got the error yesterday, and unlinked and then relinked my account, and it appeared to be working. But when I left the house the garage neither opened or closed.

But what scared me once, i just pulled out of the garage and then backed back in, and it started shutting the garage as i was backing in. luckily I was all the way in, because if the garage sensor was between the front and rear tires, it might have tried to close on the car if the timing was right.

i changed the distance to open to close to a further distance to be safe.

That’s a bigger issue. I haven’t seen that one yet. Has it happened more than once? I would think the car is sleeping at 2am and nothing should be happening on it.

yeah..happened to me twice. i unlinked it from the car and just never relinked it. my sub is over now and i bought another remote cause the app stopped working for me as well.

even uninstalling and installing the app. it just spins around for a long time when i try to open and close the garage.

i also disconnected and reconnected to the wifi.

only the remote works now.

I was getting pretty frustrated with MyQ. Seems like it is working just fine when I arrive home - garage door opens up every time.
But when I leave, 60% of the time, it doesn't work... MyQ disconnected. I called MyQ support, and the explanation was pretty obvious (and I'm embarrassed I didn't realize it). When the car is in the driveway, it's connected to WiFi. When I take off, it gets just far enough from the house that WiFi drops, so it's no longer connected for a little while, then it switches to 5G, and my connection returns. It's the network "gray zone".
Solution is to either disconnect/forget my WiFi, or make the geofence smaller so it closes before WiFi drops.