Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my used 2016 model S 70 D about seven months ago and I just noticed there was a connector sticking out underneath the center console glove area. when I pulled the center storage box down I noticed there was another connector also disconnected. does anybody know what these connectors are for and should they be disconnected?

Attachments

• 15DE8ECE-97DB-4AF1-A227-C1C9B098DFF3.jpeg
    15DE8ECE-97DB-4AF1-A227-C1C9B098DFF3.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 97
Both are diagnostic connectors. The white one is Ethernet, and the blue one has a number of CAN bus connections. It is normal to have nothing connected to them. Tesla service may connect to the white connector with a special cable to their laptop to get service codes, load firmware, and other tasks.

Upvote 0
Both are diagnostic connectors. The white one is Ethernet, and the blue one has a number of CAN bus connections. It is normal to have nothing connected to them. Tesla service may connect to the white connector with a special cable to their laptop to get service codes, load firmware, and other tasks.
I’m a bit confused by your response. I have always thought Ethernet required four wires for communication and the white connector only has 2 wires. Am I wrong?

Upvote 0