Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important tip: dash cam SSD disconnected in an accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear ended in a hit-and-run accident this morning. The worst part, I was counting on my dash cam SSD to record the whole thing. Unfortunately, the SSD attached to my 2019 Model 3, in a Jeda USB Hub, disconnected from the force of the collision from behind. I just wanted to post this and make sure people secure your SSD drives and/or holders (velcro or two sided tape) to make sure they don't disconnect from the force of an accident. This may not be a problem with the newer model's glove box location, but in the center console, a rear end impact can pull the drive out of the connector and leave you with no footage.

Tesla - please have a f'ing huge notification when by dash cam drive disconnects in an accident and give me an opportunity to reconnect it to still get that really important footage.

Please don’t take this the wrong way as I am not familiar with this setup. My 21 M3LRAWD has the drive in the glove box and hasn’t failed me yet. My other drives are attached in the console through the USB-C ports which also carry data. How was yours different?

Tesla - please have a f'ing huge notification when by dash cam drive disconnects in an accident and give me an opportunity to reconnect it to still get that really important footage.

Dude, relax. The "footage" is worthless.
You got rear-ended. Which is an automatic 100% fault of the person who plowed into your trunk. You are not at fault. Case closed.

Nothing more to talk or worry about.
Not the police, not your insurance, nor the other party's insurance will have any need for your dash-cam video. Whether it was recorded and saved, or not.

Cheers!

P.S.: You may want to modify the subject of the thread (if you can), since your safety is in no way effected by the dash-cam saving video footage, or not.

Reactions: Shelburne
Please don’t take this the wrong way as I am not familiar with this setup. My 21 M3LRAWD has the drive in the glove box and hasn’t failed me yet. My other drives are attached in the console through the USB-C ports which also carry data. How was yours different?
Mine was in the center console inside the Jedi USB hub. The USB hub, with the drive in it, pulled out of the console USB ports when I was rear ended.

Dude, relax. The "footage" is worthless.
You got rear-ended. Which is an automatic 100% fault of the person who plowed into your trunk. You are not at fault. Case closed.

Nothing more to talk or worry about.
Not the police, not your insurance, nor the other party's insurance will have any need for your dash-cam video. Whether it was recorded and saved, or not.

Cheers!

P.S.: You may want to modify the subject of the thread (if you can), since your safety is in no way effected by the dash-cam saving video footage, or not.
Unfortunately it was a hit and run, so I have no information on the other driver.

• Informative
Reactions: Stanwood Steve

(moderator note)

OP is not able to change the thread title, but after consideration I agree with you here so modified the thread title as suggested. I only mention it so that your post here doesnt look out of place.

Reactions: cdubois and afadeev