Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot not in Canada? 2018.42

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Its beginning to look a lot like..."
Well it is the season of giving: Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot is coming to Canada next week, says Elon Musk
Wooooo!

But to be honest I'm REALLY hoping there is a software unlocked heated steering wheel (like what they did with rear seats). I'm really missing the heated wheel on my volt, at least my wife's bolt has one, but on a day like today it would be a huge addition. Especially on such an expensive car.

While I'm not holding out hope, it would make for an awesome Christmas time tweet from Mr Musk for all of us in cold climates...heck, even in some places in Northern California it would be a useful feature.

Fingers crossed :oops:

Reactions: corlaandstan
My understanding as well is that to date the hardware in the model 3 steering wheel is not there. Which is kind of surprising - even with pre heating the cabin, I find the lack of a heated steering wheel is one of the things I miss the most from my previous car.
Heating steering wheel is almost “standard” these days.

I personal do not understand the want for a heated steering wheel, I have never had one that could be the reason why I don’t care for one but also I have never felt my fingers could benefit from one either.
If you've never had one then I could for sure see why you think that. Trust me though, it is a huge change. My wife was the same when I was raving about the heated steering wheel in my volt before she got her bolt. But within about 2 days of her driving the bolt with the wheel she admitted it was probably one of her favorite things and she never wants a car without one (so that's why she isn't allowed to drive the 3 :cool:)

I also get that the teardowns of the wheel have not shown any indications of heated steering wheel, which is why I said that I'm not holding my breath. The only glimmer of hope I get is that there were also early reports that there was no hardware in the rear seats for heating. But that was also in the early days of the 3, so again this takes me back to 'dont hold your breath'

However, for the $5-10 in cable harnesses and heating elements this would probably cost it is a huge thing missing from the model 3. I would say not having a heated steering wheel and not having android auto integration are the two biggest things I miss about my volt, and features I would have added if they were options at an additional cost (as long as it wasnt too much of course....already stretched myself pretty thin to buy the car in the first place :) )

Have the heated steering wheel on my S but not on the 3 of course. It is nice but I think it would be a bigger deal for me if I had a ice car. Preheating negates almost all the usefullness of the heated steering wheel and on top of that using autopilot lots almost makes it worthless.

Both my Bolt and MS have heated steering wheel and I didn't really think it was that useful (maybe other than that one time in the Bolt where I was running out of juice and had to turn the heat off and just drive in below zero weather with just heated steering wheel, lol)... I agree with Smiles83 that preheating would make the cabin comfortable enough without any need for a heated steering wheel.

Yeah, but the heated steering wheel probably pulls 50W, while heating the cabin pulls 7 kW +. It's about combining comfort with efficiency. Adding a heated steering wheel would mean you can be as comfortable while using less heat so you suffer much less range drop.

Obviously it's personal preference and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the argument is that the heated steering wheel is a more efficient way to keep comfortable. Otherwise you could also argue that pre heating the cabin also renders the heated seats useless.

Yeah, but the heated steering wheel probably pulls 50W, while heating the cabin pulls 7 kW +. It's about combining comfort with efficiency. Adding a heated steering wheel would mean you can be as comfortable while using less heat so you suffer much less range drop.

Obviously it's personal preference and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the argument is that the heated steering wheel is a more efficient way to keep comfortable. Otherwise you could also argue that pre heating the cabin also renders the heated seats useless.

Efficient yes, practical no. IMO, you spent all this money on a car that has the ultra-convenient feature of preheating our cabin but you would rather suffer in the cold to save a few pennies? Doesn't make too much practical sense to me. Doubly so if you have TeslaFi and schedule your preheating during the Monday to Friday grind.

I wonder if like the suggestion to Elon about pointing the vents towards the windows to help defrost them, if you could have a setting to point them at the steering wheel and get them warmed up while doing the cabin anyways? Seems like a decent compromise since we're missing the hardware, fix it in software!

I think it’s based on car registration relating to the country it was bought in.
Based off what other Canadians have experienced, it looks like the car is checking both cell tower data and map data to determine whether it's an "navigation on autopilot eligible zone". Looks like it checks this at certain intervals as wells as during system boot up to determine whether to enable the feature or not.

IMG_20181122_190507.jpg
42....now 44.2