Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Not Updating Cars Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 Performance this past Saturday and spent a good part of today showing it off to my co-workers and taking them for rides. All good.

Either during several of my "demos" or possibly when I got ready to leave work, I told the navigation unit to go "home". After seeing what my projected arrival charge would be, I stopped paying attention to the nav map as I was listening to music. Somewhere about 2/3 of the way home I noticed the nav unit was still showing me at work. At this point I had traveled about 35 miles. Once home, the situation hadn't changed. The car still thought it was 50 miles away at work.

I've rebooted the touchscreen, but that hasn't helped. The other features seem to be working fine; music, car settings, web, etc. My Tesla app on my Iphone also shows the car as being at work. The same app show my (as in me, the human) location at my home.

Has anyone seen this before and is there something I can do to resolve it? It seems to me that the GPS unit(s) has stopped functioning.

Thank you for any suggestions or insight.

I had a similar problem last week. GPS was frozen and the backup camera didn’t work. In fact I don’t think any of the cameras worked because it didn’t show other traffic in the display. Autopilot didn’t appear to work either. This happened to me on the way in to work. Fortunately after several hours of being parked, when I came out to go home, everything came up fine and it’s been ok since. I was on 2019.32.12.1. Since then I’ve gotten 2019.32.12.2, and I haven’t seen the problem again (yet).
I don’t have help for you, only empathy. The one thing I will say is that driving without the gizmos was still a lot of fun, but I do hope I don’t have to do it very often.

I've had this happen as well, obviously some bug, but it usually becomes "unstuck" after a few minutes of driving. Also GPS dead reckoning has been wonky almost all year, since about March. Sometimes when the car wakes from sleep, the nav orientation will suddenly flip around some ~200 degrees and won't correct itself until it gets a GPS fix.

Ok, things are back to normal. I fully charged the car overnight, but at first the navigation display hadn't changed. I pulled the car out of the garage and the position finally updated.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the nav today traveling to and from work today to see how it behaves.

Thank you everyone for your input.