Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation using GPS. A Better Route Planner using cellular?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla depend only on GPS satellites for navigation? Does Model 3 have the US map on its computer or does it pull up the map each time i invoke the Tesla Navigate app?

What about other services? Web apps for instance?
I have laid(sp?) in a ABRP plan for a cross country trip. If i am out of cell range will i be unable to pull up my ABRP travel plan thru the web?

The car has built in maps. It can handle routing without an internet connection. It does not have access to the Points of Information database while offline, so you must either have the destination in the history list, or enter it by address.

You won't be able to pull up ABRP or any website on the browser if you don't have a connection. You could write down the addresses of points on your trip and then type them into the navigation between points.

I haven't tried it yet. Have not been out of cell range. Does the car use my cell phone for cellular connection?
What about the ABRP app. Does in download? I am pretty sure the ABRP 'plans' are store in the cloud because i share on both laptop at home and on the road.
Performance really sucks. I am going to purchase premium and hope i am placed on a faster server. What do you know about performance?