Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got any road trip advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just recently starting to drive between PA and MA on a weekly basis, I have new found respect of the Tesla nav and how well it integrates with the battery info. I would definitely recommend not to sweat the small stuff and truly trust the onboard nav to get you from A to B while keeping your battery topped. For those more nuanced drivers, I think being able to edit or change/remove/swap supercharger stops for others that might be preferred would be a nice to have. But at the moment I find that to be the main limitation.

I did get some neck pillows as the gap between the main seat and the awkward angle of the headrest was giving me shoulder soreness. I would definitely recommend those as well as the other stuff folks listed.

Hi!

In October, I’ll be embarking on an epic road trip. The total trip will be about 4,000 miles for me, from start to finish. I will start/end in MN. Along the way will be MN, ND, MT, WY, CO, UT, and back again through SD.

The car is a 2003 996 C2 with 90k miles and runs great! I’ve owned it since Nov 2023, so I have a little history and a decent baseline.

I have a heated garage and the rest of MN winter to prep for this fun trip.

I’ll be staying in hotels for half the trip and at my brother’s house in Denver for the other half. Camping equipment is not needed.

I’m looking for advice on:

1 - Car Prep - What would you do to get the car ready?

2 - Tools - What would you pack in the frunk?

About #1 - Already done:
  • New tires
  • Good brakes
  • Fresh coolant
  • New water pump
  • Fresh air filter
  • Wipers are new
  • Fresh oil (after winter storage ends)
  • Fresh MT oil (after winter storage ends)

About #2
  • I’m mostly a DIY guy. If you can think of a tool, I probably have it and can bring it - tell me what to not leave behind!
  • Planning to bring 12V air compressor & tire plugs
  • Spare is aired up and ready to go
  • I’m driving alone in my car. The frunk and back seat are available for tool and parts storage
  • Will probably bring a charged battery booster (I have one, so why not?)

What should I prep on the car and what tools/parts should I bring with?
a Tesla

Having just recently starting to drive between PA and MA on a weekly basis, I have new found respect of the Tesla nav and how well it integrates with the battery info. I would definitely recommend not to sweat the small stuff and truly trust the onboard nav to get you from A to B while keeping your battery topped. For those more nuanced drivers, I think being able to edit or change/remove/swap supercharger stops for others that might be preferred would be a nice to have. But at the moment I find that to be the main limitation.

I did get some neck pillows as the gap between the main seat and the awkward angle of the headrest was giving me shoulder soreness. I would definitely recommend those as well as the other stuff folks listed.
After reading all 4 pages this was going to be my question. Why use ABRP or any other app when the Tesla onboard navigation system will give you the charging locations? Granted I have yet to take possession of my new Y.

Hi!

In October, I’ll be embarking on an epic road trip. The total trip will be about 4,000 miles for me, from start to finish. I will start/end in MN. Along the way will be MN, ND, MT, WY, CO, UT, and back again through SD.

The car is a 2003 996 C2 with 90k miles and runs great! I’ve owned it since Nov 2023, so I have a little history and a decent baseline.

I’ll be staying in hotels for half the trip and at my brother’s house in Denver for the other half. Camping equipment is not needed.

About #1 - Already done:
  • New tires
  • Good brakes
  • Fresh coolant
  • New water pump
  • Fresh air filter
  • Wipers are new

About #2
  • I’m mostly a DIY guy. If you can think of a tool, I probably have it and can bring it - tell me what to not leave behind!
  • I’m driving alone in my car. The frunk and back seat are available for tool and parts storage

One post and you are asking advice about driving a non-Tesla? 🤣

After reading all 4 pages this was going to be my question. Why use ABRP or any other app when the Tesla onboard navigation system will give you the charging locations? Granted I have yet to take possession of my new Y.
In most cases the Tesla Navigation System Route Planner is sufficient when taking a road trip. Always stop and charge at the Supercharger (SC) or DC Fast Charge locations indicated by the Tesla Navigation System Route Planner and you will be fine. The Tesla Navigation System Route Planner is programmed for fewest but longer charging stops. With the Tesla Rout Planner the arrival at SC or at the destination state of charge may be lower than you prefer, i.e. less than 10%. (You can compensate for the lower arrival state of charge by performing some additional charging beyond what the Tesla Navigation System Route Planner indicates is needed to reach the next waypoint or destination, i.e. charge the Tesla vehicle's battery for an additional Xx%.)

ABRP offers more flexibility, the ability to set parameters and preferences for frequency and duration of charging stops, departure state of charge/SC arrival state of charge/destination state of charge. ABRP enables you to specify your vehicle make, model and year utilizing information on battery capacity, rated efficiency for your specific vehicle.

Both Tesla Navigation and ABRP take into account elevation changes, cross winds and weather conditions along a route. ABRP lets you specify outside temperature and road conditions (dry/wet/snow.) ABRP Premium will also factor in traffic in metropolitan areas. ABRP enables you to specify your preferred highway driving speed or % over the posted speed limit and any cargo load you may be carrying. (Tesla's Navigation system will update the estimated energy consumption for the trip route using data based on your recent driving history.) Both ABRP and Tesla Navigation enable you to add a waypoint (could be a side trip or an additional charging stop) to a trip route. ABRP makes it easy to compare different routes so you can decide on the best route for your needs. ABRP enables you to specify your departure time and lets you recall a saved trip route for later use.

Last edited:
Hi!

About #1 - Already done:
  • New tires
  • Good brakes
  • Fresh coolant
  • New water pump
  • Fresh air filter
  • Wipers are new

About #2

@bevapo ??
Without a Tesla, what are you seeking from this forum?

Abrp is easier to use for planning when not in the car. Also, it is highly customizable, which is great for people who don't always do the speed limit. In some places, the difference between the speed limit and flow of traffic speeds are really significant.

It is also easy to get a really accurate estimate of total charge time. The Tesla planner rounds things off in confusing ways

The Tesla planner is also much simpler, though.

Reactions: tradosaurus
I always recommend signing up for Plugshare too. It can come in very handy if/when you travel in low density locations - just another helpful tool to have in the bag when you roadtrip.

Reactions: tradosaurus
one question about ABRP: if you connect your tesla to the ABRP account, does it then use actual tesla "measurements" and factor them in when calculating directions and charge times? When I punch in the info, and use 90% SOC at starting for example, it gives me a very "optimistic" range outline, one which I expect as well but when I then proceed to the car's actual nav, it defaults to additional stops and a very conservative range.

one question about ABRP: if you connect your tesla to the ABRP account, does it then use actual tesla "measurements" and factor them in when calculating directions and charge times? When I punch in the info, and use 90% SOC at starting for example, it gives me a very "optimistic" range outline, one which I expect as well but when I then proceed to the car's actual nav, it defaults to additional stops and a very conservative range.
Connecting to your Tesla account allows it to gather real time consumption information in order to determine a more accurate reference consumption value for your vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I do tend to use ABRP when I'm sitting on my PC or using my cell to get some idea but when I'm travelling, I don't use ABRP at all. Tesla's nav is really nice for travelling.

I do start with 100% SoC at the beginning, and set 160 wh/km $110/km/h, between quickest and short, reference speed at 110%, charging overhead at 5min, charger arrival at 15%.

Using the above values, when I compare the ABRP results vs my own actual trips over 1000km, they are roughly in line, hence it is useful to plan long trips while sitting on my couch at home.

I don't have ABRP premium account but do have it connected to my account. I do need a break every 1.5 - 2 hours, and the above settings usually yields this.

Reactions: jsight