Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly drove into my garage door - Don't leave the house with your garage door open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Totally my fault and almost a disaster. Ran out a few minutes ago to meet my wife and daughter a few miles away and hand off my daughter's music bag. This saved them 7 minutes so they'd be on time to her music class. I totally spaced that the car had been parked outside and that the garage door was open.

I arrived back within a few minutes and it was getting dark and I drove into the garage....well almost. I screeched to a stop literally 2 inches away from hitting the bottom of the garage door as it was coming down. The door itself stopped as soon as my nose hit the sensor. But it was REALLY close. If'd I'd driven another few inches, it would have slammed into my windshield.

So it would be really cool if Tesla could integrate typical home automation solutions into it's features. I can control all three of my garage doors from the internet through an app or through an http request. I can see the state and know if they're open or closed. Even if the integration still used Homelink to trigger the door, it would be cool if the Tesla could know the garage door state already by issuing a simple command over the internet.

I know I'm dreaming. Much simpler, more useful, and more needed features have been on the waiting list for years and we'll probably never see them let alone better home automation integration.

Feeling really lucky right now.