Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Making a Decision on CPO vs. 2018 100D

What is the best decision?

• Buy the new 2018 Tesla Model S 100D

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Buy my current 2015 Tesla Model S 70D for $54K

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Buy a CPO that has higher mileage range like the S 90 or S85

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope people here can help me make this important decision. My 2015 70D lease is coming up due soon. I need to make a decision quickly on the next car.

I am looking at a 2018 100D. The main features I like is the auto pilot 2.5 feature, HEPA filter, high speed charging, and the fact it can go 335 miles. I have a deposit on the 2018, but I am having second thoughts.

I been happy with my current 2015 70D with its 240 miles range. I don't really need the mileage. The new Autopilot 2.5 looks good, but the AutoPilot 1.0 has been ok. I am also anxious about all the new electric cars coming out from all other manufacturers next year. I am sure there will be many more innovations in the coming years. Also, I have no idea when level 5 auto drive will be available.

I am now also considering a CPO. The cost difference is like $35 to $40K between 2018 100D. My question is are these new features worth the extra $40K? I also have the option to buy my own 2015 Tesla 70D with 27K miles, auto pilot, premium sound, letter etc. for $54K.

What should I do? I need to make a decision quick. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

I voted keep your current car (buyout).

Hold it for a year or two and then see what's available. Then trade it in.

Yeah that's a decision I am definitely looking at. My current car has been fine. It works great. We charge at home, and we don't travel that much. In 3 years we barely put 25K on it. It has upgraded sound, sun roof, auto pilot, tech package etc. We haven't had any issues other than a stress crack on the sunroof, which Tesla replaced. We know the car's history.

The main issue is I have no idea what kind of new tech or new developments will be out in 2 to 3 years. I mean new features are coming out fast, and Tesla Level 5 auto pilot might not happen in 2 to 3 years like some are predicting.

$35K to $40K extra is big chunk of change for a new 100D.

Don't even bother with CPO, instead I'd be looking at a New Model 3 in that specific case.

I also probably wouldn't even bother with your current lease either and again possibly be looking at a Model 3. More range, current tech for about the same price.

Yeah I think I gonna end up ordering a brand new 75D. I been fine with the 70D, so I am ok with the 75D. I just can't justify the extra $20K or so for the 100D especially now that 0-60 time with 75D is about the same as 100D. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Yeah I think I gonna end up ordering a brand new 75D. I been fine with the 70D, so I am ok with the 75D. I just can't justify the extra $20K or so for the 100D especially now that 0-60 time with 75D is about the same as 100D. Anyone got an opinion on this?

I have a 90D -16 with 75 000 km (46.6k miles) on the clock and for a number of reasons I decided to get a new one so made the choice between a 75D and a 100D.

One of the reasons why I don't want to keep the 90D is because I see a steady degeneration of the battery. I think it's lost about 5% in the last 6 months alone. Right now the range is barely longer than on a new 75D. I know this is happening to all battteries but the 90-pack is the worst of the lot.

The range itself is rarely a problem, I admit. But during wintertime I like to go to the mountains on ski trips and such things. With the degenerated 90D or a new 75D it would still be too many close calls (especially with a roofbox for the skis) as the supercharger network doesn't really cover some parts of our mountain areas. A 100D really makes a lot of difference. Also on longer trips down into mainland Europe I guess the longer range won't hurt. Not that I wouldn't get to my target destination with a 75D, it's just that with a 100D I don't have to be as thourough in my planning.

In an attempt to keep the costs down I opted out of the autopilot (doesn't use it on my current one anyway) and the 21" wheels.

As a bonus the 100D is still quite a bit faster than the 75D. I've seen several sources claim that the 100D makes the 0-100km/h dash in 3.8 secs while the 75D needs at least 4.2 secs. It's not that it matters a great deal but hey. Since when is a faster car a bad thing? :) Also, at higher speeds the 100D is a lot faster due to the battery being 400V instead of 350V as the battery in the 75D.

The higher voltage also means that the 100D charges faster at superchargers. In fact, the 100 kWh pack is superior to any other pack when it comes to charging speed. It will keep the charge closer to 120 kW for much longer up the SOC scale than the other packs.

But truth to be told, in the end I guess it came down to purely emotional arguments. I just wanted the 100D more. The stuff I pointed out earlier are mere bonuses.

I have a 90D -16 with 75 000 km (46.6k miles) on the clock and for a number of reasons I decided to get a new one so made the choice between a 75D and a 100D.

One of the reasons why I don't want to keep the 90D is because I see a steady degeneration of the battery. I think it's lost about 5% in the last 6 months alone. Right now the range is barely longer than on a new 75D. I know this is happening to all battteries but the 90-pack is the worst of the lot.

The range itself is rarely a problem, I admit. But during wintertime I like to go to the mountains on ski trips and such things. With the degenerated 90D or a new 75D it would still be too many close calls (especially with a roofbox for the skis) as the supercharger network doesn't really cover some parts of our mountain areas. A 100D really makes a lot of difference. Also on longer trips down into mainland Europe I guess the longer range won't hurt. Not that I wouldn't get to my target destination with a 75D, it's just that with a 100D I don't have to be as thourough in my planning.

In an attempt to keep the costs down I opted out of the autopilot (doesn't use it on my current one anyway) and the 21" wheels.

As a bonus the 100D is still quite a bit faster than the 75D. I've seen several sources claim that the 100D makes the 0-100km/h dash in 3.8 secs while the 75D needs at least 4.2 secs. It's not that it matters a great deal but hey. Since when is a faster car a bad thing? :) Also, at higher speeds the 100D is a lot faster due to the battery being 400V instead of 350V as the battery in the 75D.

The higher voltage also means that the 100D charges faster at superchargers. In fact, the 100 kWh pack is superior to any other pack when it comes to charging speed. It will keep the charge closer to 120 kW for much longer up the SOC scale than the other packs.

But truth to be told, in the end I guess it came down to purely emotional arguments. I just wanted the 100D more. The stuff I pointed out earlier are mere bonuses.

Thanks for the input. I got my deposit on a 100D, and I am thinking of switching over to 75D. I just know based on my experience with the 70D, it has been fine and it held the charges just fine every after 25K miles. It will come down to tomorrow for the final decision lol. I think I probably gonna end up with the 75D due to various reasons.

I have a 3 year old 85d and I have no detectable mileage decrease. At most 2 or 3 miles on full charge. I drive it about 12k miles a year, including winter trips, longer trips where I used super chargers, but I don't supercharge much, daily charge to 80 or 90%. Since you have so much reduction, how many miles do you have, what kind of driving experience do you have?

I have a 3 year old 85d and I have no detectable mileage decrease. At most 2 or 3 miles on full charge. I drive it about 12k miles a year, including winter trips, longer trips where I used super chargers, but I don't supercharge much, daily charge to 80 or 90%. Since you have so much reduction, how many miles do you have, what kind of driving experience do you have?

The 85D pack is better I think. I don't know if my reduction is that bad. I think it's normal for the 90 pack. I still have a 90% SOC range of 236 miles of what they call "typical range". I think it's calculated by 186 Wh/km (299 Wh/mile). Which makes me think I still have around 78 kWh usable capacity in the battery pack. A new 90D has got around 82 kWh. So based on that the reduction isn't too bad.