Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Used model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas everyone!

I really do appreciate everyone’s input! It has been really helping me.

I think it will have to come down to me looking at the two cars in person.

As much as I like the fact I could potentially get the tax credit on the 100D and it’ll be even cheaper compared to the 75D. The photos I’ve seen on the 100D the interior looks way more beat up. (The buttons for the windows aren’t even black anymore lol)

The 75D seems to be optioned better with the cold weather package, longer warranty, high fidelity audio, and looks clean.

But the range worries me. If I’m driving 90 miles a day I’d basically be recharging it daily, would that affect the life of the battery?

Reactions: Fgpalmer71
If I’m driving 90 miles a day I’d basically be recharging it daily, would that affect the life of the battery?
Supercharging daily will indeed have a negative impact. Do you have a garage? Do you have the ability to purchase and install a level 2 charger? If so, I'd have zero concerns. If the 75D @ 80-90% gets you enough to handle your business on a daily basis I think you're going to be just fine if you have a home charger installed.

When I purchased my Model S a couple of years ago it created a domino effect in my family. My dad, my sister, my cousins....everyone made the switch to EV's (all Tesla's) shortly after experiencing my car. 1 of my cousins lives in a condo and doesn't have the ability to install a level 2 charger. He found a mint late 2014 build P85 and supercharges 1-2 times weekly. In the 2 years he's owned it his stated range @ 100% has dropped 2 miles. (The guess-o-meter display isn't the accurate way to track degradation, but it's what I have to go off of on his car).

Someone replied to one of my earlier replies here with the fact that only Tesla has the real data on such things, and this is correct. All I have to go on are my personal experiences. You should also factor in the cold weather range loss if you live in an area where that's a reality. Some of these other, more well versed TMC members might be able to speak on the expected cold weather loss better then myself. The P85 example I'm speaking of is located in Connecticut and he sees ~ 15-20% range loss when it dips below freezing.

Putting your hands on both cars is indeed the smart play!

Supercharging daily will indeed have a negative impact. Do you have a garage? Do you have the ability to purchase and install a level 2 charger? If so, I'd have zero concerns. If the 75D @ 80-90% gets you enough to handle your business on a daily basis I think you're going to be just fine if you have a home charger installed.

When I purchased my Model S a couple of years ago it created a domino effect in my family. My dad, my sister, my cousins....everyone made the switch to EV's (all Tesla's) shortly after experiencing my car. 1 of my cousins lives in a condo and doesn't have the ability to install a level 2 charger. He found a mint late 2014 build P85 and supercharges 1-2 times weekly. In the 2 years he's owned it his stated range @ 100% has dropped 2 miles. (The guess-o-meter display isn't the accurate way to track degradation, but it's what I have to go off of on his car).

Someone replied to one of my earlier replies here with the fact that only Tesla has the real data on such things, and this is correct. All I have to go on are my personal experiences. You should also factor in the cold weather range loss if you live in an area where that's a reality. Some of these other, more well versed TMC members might be able to speak on the expected cold weather loss better then myself. The P85 example I'm speaking of is located in Connecticut and he sees ~ 15-20% range loss when it dips below freezing.

Putting your hands on both cars is indeed the smart play!
Yea I have a garage, I’ll have to make some space if I want to park it inside, but eitherway I was planning on getting the Tesla wall charger. I figure I’d only supercharge if I have a drive further than my range.

Is that 15-20% range loss off the screen or actual range? If that makes sense lol. Like I know it’ll say 259 miles at 100% but you’ll probably get closer to 200 actual miles

Reactions: pilotSteve
Is that 15-20% range loss off the screen or actual range? If that makes sense lol. Like I know it’ll say 259 miles at 100% but you’ll probably get closer to 200 actual miles
Plus winter, plus keeping up with traffic on the highway (55-60 mph is a lot more efficient than the 75 you'll probably go)... Just today charged to 100% at home (you wont likely ever go full 100% at a supercharger) went from Philly-Wilmington to the supercharger in Carle Place/roosevelt field. Had 16% on my 2015 85D. Traveled 147 miles.

Yea I have a garage, I’ll have to make some space if I want to park it inside, but eitherway I was planning on getting the Tesla wall charger. I figure I’d only supercharge if I have a drive further than my range.

That's based off the screen, but I believe it translates for my cousin's car, in below freezing temps, regardless. He's telling me that he charges to 80% typically and that has him @ around 187 miles. According to him, he's seeing about 160 miles or so. I'm in AZ and he's not the most technical guy, so this isn't all that accurate. When I ask him what his typical wh/mi is, well it's exhausting trying to walk him through it, lol.

Gillmj24 is shooting you straight, it really depends on HOW you drive, along with wind direction, grade of the road and other things to get technical. If your average daily round trip is 90 miles I'd think you'd be more then fine, 75D or 100D.

My car stays plugged in when in the garage, it's a habit for me to plug in when I pull in. So every morning I leave the house with 85% SOC. Range anxiety was a real thing for me when I was shopping and during the 1st couple of months of ownership. Honestly....I don't EVER think about it anymore. If ever I'm out and about all day it's nothing to pull up to a supercharger...and those days are pretty rare for me. I find it kinda funny as I think back on it now....how anxious I'd get...fretting about range, or how long it takes to charge. I'd "think" that most have had the same experience in terms of the initial anxiety levels.

17 MS HV should be solid, you should have no problem for 90 miles a day if you can charge it overnight at home. I bought the Tesla ESA early and so far I don't regret that, it covered the headlights, charge port and MCU2. MCU1 is slow though, I upgrade mainly for faster navigation, sentry and music, I don't care much about games and movies.

Reactions: ruskii94
Hello all!

Happy holidays!
I am interested in purchasing a used Tesla. I currently have two car leases that are ending and don’t have the need for two cars anymore and was thinking of picking up a used model S. I’ve been reading a lot on the forum about what to expect with the cars. I was looking at the 2017 - 2018 range.
I have two Model S’s that I’ve narrowed it down to but wanted some of your opinions.

Car #1 2017 Model s 75D
Air suspension
Cold weather package
Premium Audio
FSD included
AP 2.5 computer
MCU1
56k miles
Asking 28,000
Warranty expires 12/25

Car #2 2017 Model S 100D
Air suspension
Premium Audio
“FSD computer”
Autopilot is included but no FSD
MCU 1
89k miles
Asking 25,500
Warranty ends 8/25

I preferably would want a 100D since bigger battery is generally bigger. The range is my biggest concern if the 75D would work for me. I live in New York about an hour and change from the city so I do have cold winters. I commute about 90 miles per day for work.

Any insight is highly appreciated!
Happy holidays!
I would go for the 100D, no need to worry about mileage covered.

Reactions: 100d and ruskii94
Tesla might upgrade the 75D to AP3/MCU2 for you if it has FSD already paid for. FSD needs MCU2 to do the visualizations. Not sure how that works for you as 3rd owner.

You might want to look at the raven models from may 2019 to early 2020. They have 8 year/ unlimited mileage warranty, and did get some good upgrades in suspension and permanent magnet front motor.

Reactions: ruskii94
17 MS HV should be solid, you should have no problem for 90 miles a day if you can charge it overnight at home. I bought the Tesla ESA early and so far I don't regret that, it covered the headlights, charge port and MCU2. MCU1 is slow though, I upgrade mainly for faster navigation, sentry and music, I don't care much about games and movies.
I’ll probably end up getting MCU2 since I’m a tech guy the slow screen will probably drive me nuts lol
I would go for the 100D, no need to worry about mileage covered.
Why? As in it’s a solid car?
Tesla might upgrade the 75D to AP3/MCU2 for you if it has FSD already paid for. FSD needs MCU2 to do the visualizations. Not sure how that works for you as 3rd owner.

You might want to look at the raven models from may 2019 to early 2020. They have 8 year/ unlimited mileage warranty, and did get some good upgrades in suspension and permanent magnet front motor.
My goal is to lower my monthly car payment obligation from having two car payments and saving for the next two years and then upgrading to a newer model s when I can put money down. Getting a raven model is just more than I want to pay for the car lol even though I’d love to

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah, probably boils down to the commitment level. If you are willing to spend the time at arbitration they might do it, but they are perfectly willing to call the bluff on those that aren’t committed. They can write off individual cases as goodwill, but don’t want to establish a class action by setting a standard

Reactions: brkaus