Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need help on autopilot info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone i just bought a brand new 2017 MS P100D. i believe the car was a show car this is why it was unsold until now, i just wanted to ask, any difference between the 2017 and a 2019? also in regards to the autopilot hardware pre installed, any difference with current hardware? because i need to buy the autopilot in order for it to be active, and the salesmen are not really helping since they are telling me that even if it is activated it wont work in my area of the world (i live in beirut, lebanon and there is no tesla dealership here. so basically he is saying that it wont work at all over here and even the summon and autopark wont work. i am not able to understand why. thanks in advance

Hi there are some big build quality differences and Autopilot hardware differences between 2017 and 2019 model S. Which dealership did you buy from or did you have it imported?
i bought it from the tesla dealer in jordan. they said there is zero difference, and i believe it is not true, also the autopilot was not activated as an option, i requested it to be activated by purchasing it, they told me that even if i purchase it it wont work, and also the summon on the app and the auto park wont work, i found these answers weird. how can i know if my car has the autopilot hardware version 2.5 installed??
could you please enphasize on the big build quality differences? i paid my deposit but can still change my mind if they are worth it.
thanks in advance

A 2017 likely has AP2 and MCU1. A 2019 has AP2.5 and MCU2. The radar is also different but that’s a minor point. Both AP2 and AP2.5 can be upgraded to AP3. And Elon said MCU2 would also be a retrofit option. Would agree that 2019 cars would have better build qualify in general.

A 2017 likely has AP2 and MCU1. A 2019 has AP2.5 and MCU2. The radar is also different but that’s a minor point. Both AP2 and AP2.5 can be upgraded to AP3. And Elon said MCU2 would also be a retrofit option. Would agree that 2019 cars would have better build qualify in general.
thanks for your input, but you think those differences and the better build quality are important enough? i mean i took a brand new fully equipped 2017 p100D for the price of a brand new 2019 100d , i feel i did a good deal. what do you think?

Most of the things that were options in 2017 are now standard. But I can't think of any significant additions since then (not that I'm good at remembering). So if it is fully loaded you should be very close to today's feature set. Except for the MCU and AP as mentioned previously.

I know for my X the seat backs are now matte black instead of glossy, and the previously chrome trim around the dash is now a steel gray.

As far as AP functionality, there is a mapping component required to guide the AP, with speed limits and road info. This may not be available for your area. I don't think that would hinder the basic TACC and Autosteer operation, but the system may not expect it to be missing and just shut down completely. I'd try to locate any owners using AP in unsupported locations and see if it does anything useful. Until then I'd go with what Tesla says and save my money. No sense paying for it and having the "AP Unavaiable" message pop up 100% of the time. You'd probably lose simple cruise control as well.