Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my least favorite part about Tesla buying experience. I've been through that twice myself. When considering selling privately vs. trade-in don't forget to account for possible sales tax credit if it applies in your state (it does in many stares). As far as delaying the trade-in, Tesla gives you a price guarantee of x days, after that it gets re-evaluated. When I was trading my older MS in for a new one, I had the same problem (actually price dropped over the first 3 days by $2K which annoyed me), so I didn't want to wait weeks to find out what it would cost me.

Yup, my price guarantee was for 14 days and 500 miles. My daily commute to work is 62 miles there and back. So I couldn't even stretch it to 14 days.

But given an earlier than expected delivery date helped. So I'm just getting a rental for less than $600. I'm afraid I'd lose more if I delay the trade in.

If your trade-in is through Tesla, I wouldn't worry about it. I went to CarMax, got my appraisal and then it was 10 weeks until my delivery date and I needed to drive it to Chicago to pick up, so couldn't hit the timeline or the mileage....they told me 100 miles at that time (at least that is what the CarMax appraisal said). I just had a new appraisal done 10 weeks later...CarMax appraisal did not change (even with about 1000 more miles) and got a waiver on the mileage (up to 400 or so) and drove it up the Chicago. The biggest complication was that the closest CarMax was in Indianapolis and I was in Fort Wayne but needed to pick up in Chicago. Tesla was cool with me doing the re-appraisal the week before and being over the 100 mileage range. Don't sweat it and don't spend any extra money...I don't think you will need to.