Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First the facts:
I ordered my MS last Saturday, and received my confirmation and VIN today. Very excited about that, of course. My trade in vehicle has already been inspected, offer received and accepted. Now I just need to drop off my trade in within the next 10 days, and with no more than 400/500 miles more on it than it had at the time of inspection. My estimated MS delivery window is Late August - September.

So now I found myself in a bit of a predicament (because I rushed the trade in process). I'll have no car for several weeks (if not over a month and a half), and I'll need to get to work (I can't work from home for weeks). I can't borrow my wife's car, because she requires it for work. I may be able to borrow my dad's for several days if/when he works from home.

I looked into getting a rental and that will likely cost me ~$1,000. I'm afraid of keeping my old car over the deadline and having to go through another inspection and/or losing money on the trade in. I'm trying to figure out what other options I have (if any). So I'd welcome any suggestions, or perhaps you can think of a good deal on a rental I might be able to get. Or a reasonably-priced long-term rental option? Sadly, Tesla doesn't offer loaners.

Thanks in advance.

HA!....what I meant was that if your car has to go to a SC and they dont have a loaner it's easier to just have a secondary car, that way they can just valet your car back and forth.
Once you figure in parking, maintenance, insurance, registration... on extra car that is rarely needed, it is uneconomical for most people to keep beyond bridge period.

Totally not true. You just have to be wise on what you buy and insure.
You can't run a car for free, even if you're not driving it. Insurance companies assume you're driving both cars at once, and charge you accordingly, and registration is the same no matter how much you drive. Cars also depreciate (some more than others). As such, you will be out several hundred dollars a year minimum to keep a "spare" car around, and that doesn't even count maintenance, and finding a place to store the thing.

Unless you expect to use it at least a full week or two a year, you can basically guarantee that it will be cheaper to rent/taxi/uber as needed than to keep the "spare" car around. And that's regardless of what you have, if you have something that's nice enough to enjoy driving (instead of feel like a punishment) it will be significantly more expensive.

Totally not true. You just have to be wise on what you buy and insure.
You can buy a car for next to nothing. But the cheaper the car, the more likely maintenance. You can short cut insurance. But do you really want to have less liability or injury insurance? You may have an extra garage or driveway spot, but most people do not. Registration and fees are non-negotiable. My daughter just sold a car that was given to her for free. Operating costs too high. If you figure cost of $500 to rent or taxi annually while main car in service, most people will find it a losing proposition to own extra car. Plus Tesla offers loaners!

First the facts:
....estimated MS delivery window is Late August - September.

So now I found myself in a bit of a predicament (because I rushed the trade in process). I'll have no car for several weeks (if not over a month and a half), and I'll need to get to work (I can't work from home for weeks). ......

Talk to your Tesla DS / rep. - explain the situation.

They told me the same thing about the 500 miles for my trade-in (but nothing about number of days), but it took Tesla longer to deliver my inventory car, so my DS told me not to worry about it.... I dropped my trade-in at the same time that I picked up my Model S.

Yeah, after giving it some more thought.. I'll either push back on the trade in drop off or get a rental. I'd rather not deal with another vehicle in the mix - too many headaches already. :)

I'll definitely talk to my DS to see if she can help me out somehow.

Thanks.

Yeah, after giving it some more thought.. I'll either push back on the trade in drop off or get a rental. I'd rather not deal with another vehicle in the mix - too many headaches already. :)

I'll definitely talk to my DS to see if she can help me out somehow.

Thanks.

If nothing else, perhaps they can get u an enterprise rental using their discount. Also check enterprise through big box wholesalers.