Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need info on Charging Legislations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

I'm collecting information on global charging legislations, having hard time understanding different policy making systems in each country/city etc. Could anybody please help me compile a list for these two categories?

1. Charging legislation for condo HOAs or apartment dwellers
ex.
California state: Bill Text - SB-880 Common interest developments: electric vehicle charging stations.
Colorado state:
The Ins & Outs of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations under SB 13-126 - HindmanSanchez
# BTW I can't tell these laws are already in effect as of today or not... help appreciated!

2. EV Charging/Parking space legislation
ex.
Arizona state:
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Arizona Laws and Incentives for Electricity
Illinois state:
Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of Public Act 099-0172

I only found information on four U.S. states, but I think there are also federal/country level legislations and city/town level legislations. Please post info on North America, Europe, Hong Kong and Australia. Japan has none of them (yet) and I would like to use this list to talk to the government.

Reactions: GSP
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Effective January 2, 2013, all new homes built in Boulder County, Colorado must be wired for the future. This includes pre-wiring a home for plug-in vehicles and solar panels. It's now code in Boulder County that all garages associated with homes, duplexes and townhouses come with 240-volt charging units or are pre-wired for simple installation of charging units at a later point in time.
Colorado County Mandates Plug-In Vehicle Wiring for New Homes

It isn't like that over here on this side of the mountains but I wasn't surprised when Boulder mandated EVSE wiring in new construction some years ago. I lived in Boulder for more than 14 years two decades ago and the city and county were forward thinking even then.

Serveral Silicon Valley cities have new construction ordinances that require accommodations for EV charging. Cities like Palo Alto require at least panel capacity and conduit for a 50 amp 208 to 240 volt circuit. A wired and powered 50 amp NEMA socket or an actual installed 30 amp EVSE can also satisfy the requirement. This applies to single family, multi-family and mixed use developments. Multi-family and non-residential requires 25% of spaces to be so accommodated. Hotels must install EV accommodations for 30% of parking spaces.

However, this didn't really meet the OP's original request, so I didn't mention it earlier.

City of Palo Alto EV Charging Ordinance