Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need input on moonroof heat/sun intrusion, and highway mileage @ 80+ mph. Thx.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang. Considering the Model S Performance. I live in El Paso, TX, so no dealers here, which is a detraction. But was told a 'mobile unit' is active here, so not a deal breaker, but need to look into that. But my 2 main concerns are the following, and would very much appreciate owners' answers on both. Here it is:

1. I think the theoretical range on the MSP is 345 miles, correct? But with no transmission, the higher the speed, the worse the range, so need to know what's a realistic range when traveling at 80+ MPH from El Paso to Austin (600 miles), AND with either A/C or heater on, since I'd have to use one or the other most of the times. After that answer, need to check if it's realistic to travel on that car with the available super-charging stations, and the time lost. We typically stop just once in Ft Stockton. We know it'd take longer on a Tesla, but depends how longer.

2. Neither my wife nor myself can't stand heat and/or sun on our heads, so the issue of not having a sunscreen (at least I didn't see one on the MSP I drove recently in Austin) with a glass roof, is very concerning to us. And no, neither of us noticed the roof was glass, since we tested the car at night, and car was black. I'd like to hear from fellow Texans on this potential issue if possible, or from other high heat states.

That's it for now folks. Depending on those 2 answers, we need to decide if a longer test drive for final consideration is warranted or not. And yes, we're aware of the most important considerations of electric vehicle ownership, like not regularly charging batteries over 85%, trying to use battery charge as much as possible on trips, and not fully charging the battery at every stop if not needed (not time efficient), etc. But please add any other tips and suggestion for first time electric vehicle owners. We're in our late 50s, if that helps. Thank you in advance for your help folks.

Hey guys, I'm getting some range answers on the 'battery' forum, so no need for that here. Just need help with the glass roof issue. By the way, does it open or vent? I think it's fixed, since I should have noticed if it was a moonroof, but it's possible I didn't. I honestly don't care, since I never open the damn things on my current and past vehicles. Just don't want any heat or sun on my head/face if I don't want to. I also rarely open the sunscreen, so prefer not to have a glass/moonroof at all, but it's standard on most luxury cars, unfortunately. Thx.

With the stock tinted glass, we feel very little heat. If I put my hand right up and almost touching the glass, then I can feel some warmth. If you are concerned, you could have extra tinting installed ot just use one of the flexible pop-in sun shades that are specially made to fit.

Reactions: FutureShock
Oh man. And even that sunscreen is still translucent. The only positive sign is that the description of the sunscreen says 'for cars equipped with glass roof'. Need to find out if they can be ordered without that. And if not, before dropping it from consideration, test drive one in summer, and see how it feels. Seems weird that Tesla wouldn't put a freaking solid sunscreen on an expensive electric car, when added sun/heat/cold with a glass roof only taxes the HVAC system more. And if some owners want that, they just open it. Oh well. Thank you for all the replies; greatly appreciated.

Oh man. And even that sunscreen is still translucent. The only positive sign is that the description of the sunscreen says 'for cars equipped with glass roof'. Need to find out if they can be ordered without that. And if not, before dropping it from consideration, test drive one in summer, and see how it feels. Seems weird that Tesla wouldn't put a freaking solid sunscreen on an expensive electric car, when added sun/heat/cold with a glass roof only taxes the HVAC system more. And if some owners want that, they just open it. Oh well. Thank you for all the replies; greatly appreciated.

At the moment you have to accept an all glass roof. This may change in the future. There used to be a solid metal roof option.

I live in Austin and have driven extensively in the heat - lots of I-35 trips in 107 degree temps this summer. Running the AC will affect your range but you can mitigate it with the Tesla sunscreen (link above) by about 85% I don't quite understand your objection - if your car has a sunroof there is a different one. All MS have a glass roof - get the sun screen - it is extremely effective and the best accessory I have gotten for my car so far.

I have the exact same model you are considering. I have driven in 38C heat (100 degrees F) for extended hours with only a slight issue with radiant heat from the windows - not the roof. This is with the windows untinted.

I would strongly advise getting the windows tinted with a good ceramic tint as untinted they do let heat in but with tinting there is no problem at all. Tinting the windows also eliminates UV rays getting on your arms so no sunburn.

We are not allowed to tint the windscreens in this country but with the windows tinted it is not problem at all.

I am about to drive in 45 - 46C (115 degrees F) heat on Friday and Saturday on a 2000 km (1300 mile) road trip through outback Australia and have been told there is nothing much to worry about. If not, I will post here and update you!

My advice: Get the car. They are so amazing it is ridiculous. The exhilaration from driving a performance S will give you cold chills anyway... ;)

Reactions: Russell