Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need recommendations on new tires for 20” induction Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I get new tires directly from Tesla, or has anyone gotten tires for their 20 inch inductions that they recommend over Tesla’s? If it all possible, it would be great to get tires that are a little higher profile in the hopes that it would make the ride a little more comfortable.

Very little experience buying tires, so a solid recommendation from someone with the same car and wheels will be excellent!

You can shop for replacement tires at Tirerack.com. Tire Rack has tons of information on wheels and tires and has online assistants that are there to answer your questions. Tire rack can ship your tires to your home or a local installer to install the tires.

You can purchase the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 tire from Tesla but in general buying tires this way will be more expensive (perhaps 30% more expensive.)

You can purchase the same Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tire, OE size 255/40-20 or change to another brand and type of tire. (Tesla only sells the OE size tire for the 20" Induction wheel.)

You may be able to choose a tire with a slightly increased sidewall, this would increase the diameter of the tire so that the speedometer would be slightly affected.

Use Tire Size Comparison when considering alternate size tires, verify that the tires will not interfere with the brakes and suspension components and that the alternate size tires would not be stretched to much to fit the 9.5" wide rims.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JonB65
You can shop for replacement tires at Tirerack.com. Tire Rack has tons of information on wheels and tires and has online assistants that are there to answer your questions. Tire rack can ship your tires to your home or a local installer to install the tires.

You can purchase the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 tire from Tesla but in general buying tires this way will be more expensive (perhaps 30% more expensive.)

You can purchase the same Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tire, OE size 255/40-20 or change to another brand and type of tire. (Tesla only sells the OE size tire for the 20" Induction wheel.)

You may be able to choose a tire with a slightly increased sidewall, this would increase the diameter of the tire so that the speedometer would be slightly affected.

Use Tire Size Comparison when considering alternate size tires, verify that the tires will not interfere with the brakes and suspension components and that the alternate size tires would not be stretched to much to fit the 9.5" wide rims.
Though the years, I've either called or emailed Tirerack for my past vehicles and they have always been very responsive so you may want to give them a contact and ask them the pertinent questions and perhaps get a suggestion or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe

Fyi, changing tires at the dealer is around $1900, with the same OEM tires.

Should I get new tires directly from Tesla, or has anyone gotten tires for their 20 inch inductions that they recommend over Tesla’s? If it all possible, it would be great to get tires that are a little higher profile in the hopes that it would make the ride a little more comfortable.

Very little experience buying tires, so a solid recommendation from someone with the same car and wheels will be excellent!
Getting new tires at the dealer is around $1900, with the same OEM tires. I recommend Michelin or Vredestein and get installed at local shop.

Reactions: JonB65
I'm currently in the market for new tires too. Despite my conservative driving style and regular tire rotations, I'm disappointed to discover that my original Goodyear tires on my Tesla Model Y are cupping just after 15,000 miles. I had expected them to last at least 25,000 miles. Unfortunately, multiple Tesla dealerships have informed me that this tire wear is not covered under warranty and is likely due to an alignment issue. They mentioned that premature tire wear is quite common within the range of 12,000 to 15,000 miles, particularly considering the Model Y's weight and the presence of potholes in the Bay Area, which have become more prevalent after the recent rainy season.

I also consulted with several tire shops, and most of them advised against purchasing high-end, expensive tires like Michelin, as they may not last more than 20-25,000 miles. Considering this feedback, I've come across a specific tire model at American Tires, the Bridgestone Potenza S007 A in size 255/40 R20 101Y XL BSW. These tires are priced at $226 each, and Bridgestone is offering a $110 rebate if you purchase four tires. I would appreciate your thoughts on this tire option.