TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NEED to borrow a charging cord

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by ThyKingWes, Aug 18, 2020.

1. ThyKingWes

ThyKingWes Member

Hey there,

I need to borrow a charging cord adapter. I need to see if a Tesla Model 3 will even take a charge. The vehicle is in Denver.

I can compensate you for your time!

Please let me know!!! PM me.

thanks to anyone that can help!

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.8

Are you able to drive the car or did you need the mobile connector brought to you? What happened to the mobile connector that comes with the car?

What part of Denver? Depending on location and timing, we might be able to help.

3. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Are you aware you might need to jump the 12volt as well?
    I am presuming the vehicle is inoperable otherwise you would drive to a public charging station.
    Guessing this is a wrecked car you want to salvage?

• Helpful x 1
  4. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

5. ThyKingWes

ThyKingWes Member

It would have to be towed. Although it does run and drive when jumped. But that is just the thing I need to see if it will take a charge even. I bought it after it was in a small accident and I am not sure if it was shut down properly and will now take a charge or not.

I could tow it to a charging station. A mobile connector would be great!

I am new to Tesla so I am just not sure how to go about it. All I need to do is just see if it will take a charge and that's it, then I will know what to do from there.

If I bring it to a charging station am I able to literally just plug it in and see if it takes a charge or do I need to do something in the Tesla app first? I just don't know.

I suppose also the last question would be, is there any risk to plug it in not knowing what has happened before? Like could that potentially damage it somehow if it wasn't properly shut down or something. Like I said before when I jump the 12 volt it starts right up and there are no lights on the dash and it will go into drive and reverse. But still I am not sure if it will take a charge so that is my big question.

6. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

#6 sdoorex, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    When you've jumped it, what does the screen show for the main battery state of charge? Did you get any charging items with it like the J1772 to Tesla adapter? Roughly where in the Denver area are you located?

It sounds like the 12 V battery is dead and needs replacement but the DC-to-DC converter is working to operate the 12 V systems once the car is jumped. Getting it inspected is a priority because any damage to the battery could cause trouble and I don't know if Tesla would do that, especially if it has a branded salvage title, nor do I know of any third parties in Colorado that specialize in Tesla but maybe Iconic EV could help? After getting it inspected, buying a mobile connector is necessary so that the main battery can be charged and you should be able to get it directly from Tesla either online or from the service center. Unless you have contacted Tesla support to get the car registered to you and an account setup, you will probably be unable to Supercharge.

• Helpful x 1