Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to locate grommet hole to run wire through Model 3 firewall.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1620223216723.png

This the one hamtonp is talking about.

I also used the same grommet as pictured in Dutch24's picture, but that is probably not there anymore on newer Model 3s with the heatpump. The orange cables are high voltage and went to the PTC cabin heater, which is not there anymore on cars with the heatpump.

There might be another grommet you can use. I ran another cable recently through another grommet that is in the passenger side firewall, under the carpet and covering a bump. Keep in mind that my car was made in March 2018 and your car might also not have this grommet. On my car, this grommet was unused by anything and it was just a cap covering a hole in the firewall metal. It was about 4" in diameter. Check out the two pictures I took and marked with red and orange.

This is the passenger side firewall under where the cabin air intake plenum was (had to remove it to access). Marked in red is where I ran a single wire years ago, in the same grommet as Dutch24's picture above. If your car is older and has that grommet and the orange high voltage wires, be very careful not to damage the orange HV wires. Marked in orange is the bigger, unused grommet that was in my car. I ran a cable through there this time because it was a bundle of 5 small diameter wires and a had a connector attached that I didn't want to remove. The bigger grommet allowed me to cut a bigger hole to put it through and I sealed around it with a flexible sealant. You can see an orange plastic trim removal tool sticking out, which I used to help me fish the cable through.
IMG_20210821_155739256_mod.jpg

This is the same area inside the passenger footwell area of the firewall. To the left in red you can see the HV orange wires and the wire I ran in years ago alongside them. In orange you can see the area with the bigger, unused grommet and the orange pry tool that I used to fish my newest cable through. That grommet was under the area in my picture that shows to layered pieces of carpet. That spot has a hump and is right below the computers behind the glovebox.
IMG_20210821_155817764_mod.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I can confirm, that one grommet is missing in the 2021 refresh. I then used the one behind the black rubber insulation. A little hard to get behind with the fingers, but you can take out the rubber hole cover from the frunk side.

View attachment 717316
I’ve been looking everywhere for this grommet and cannot find it! Could you post a photo or video of there it is? Driving me crazy.

I’ve been looking everywhere for this grommet and cannot find it! Could you post a photo or video of there it is? Driving me crazy.
It's the passthrough for the Right-Hand Drive steering wheel. So symmetrical location to the opposite side.

Note:
Another option, is to pass your wire from the passenger side door, about at the hight where the side rear view mirror is located.
So you don't have to make any hole.

Last edited:
I also used the same grommet as pictured in Dutch24's picture, but that is probably not there anymore on newer Model 3s with the heatpump. The orange cables are high voltage and went to the PTC cabin heater, which is not there anymore on cars with the heatpump.

There might be another grommet you can use. I ran another cable recently through another grommet that is in the passenger side firewall, under the carpet and covering a bump. Keep in mind that my car was made in March 2018 and your car might also not have this grommet. On my car, this grommet was unused by anything and it was just a cap covering a hole in the firewall metal. It was about 4" in diameter. Check out the two pictures I took and marked with red and orange.

This is the passenger side firewall under where the cabin air intake plenum was (had to remove it to access). Marked in red is where I ran a single wire years ago, in the same grommet as Dutch24's picture above. If your car is older and has that grommet and the orange high voltage wires, be very careful not to damage the orange HV wires. Marked in orange is the bigger, unused grommet that was in my car. I ran a cable through there this time because it was a bundle of 5 small diameter wires and a had a connector attached that I didn't want to remove. The bigger grommet allowed me to cut a bigger hole to put it through and I sealed around it with a flexible sealant. You can see an orange plastic trim removal tool sticking out, which I used to help me fish the cable through.
View attachment 716581

This is the same area inside the passenger footwell area of the firewall. To the left in red you can see the HV orange wires and the wire I ran in years ago alongside them. In orange you can see the area with the bigger, unused grommet and the orange pry tool that I used to fish my newest cable through. That grommet was under the area in my picture that shows to layered pieces of carpet. That spot has a hump and is right below the computers behind the glovebox.
View attachment 716582
How did you remove the air intake plenum inside the frunk. I have the easy stuff off. Does that just pull out?