Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need veteran advice: 20 inch rims & winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few concerns and want advice from you guys who have way more experience than I do!

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It's hot here, but we still have a fair amount of pot holes. I've never owned a car with 20 inch rims. They're gorgeous, but I am hyper cautious when I drive - I am terrified that I'm not going to see a pot hole and BAM I'm out $3000 in performance wheels. All my reading on the internet has made me believe that I should be very careful. Is this legit?

I want to take my performance model 3 on road trips. Its such a fun car to drive. However, that concern of the wheels being huge makes me believe they're fragile. Should i buy a set of 18's or what? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Final question - I'm going up to a colder climate right after Christmas... and i love driving my brand new Tesla.. so I'm wanting to take it. But google tells me that my 20 inch michelin pilot 4s stock tires on my model 3 performance are summer tires. If its going to be 25 degrees outside... do i need to buy a $3000 winter set of wheels? Or should i just drive my Honda? I need help here - what do you guys know from your experience?

I have a few concerns and want advice from you guys who have way more experience than I do!

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It's hot here, but we still have a fair amount of pot holes. I've never owned a car with 20 inch rims. They're gorgeous, but I am hyper cautious when I drive - I am terrified that I'm not going to see a pot hole and BAM I'm out $3000 in performance wheels. All my reading on the internet has made me believe that I should be very careful. Is this legit?

I want to take my performance model 3 on road trips. Its such a fun car to drive. However, that concern of the wheels being huge makes me believe they're fragile. Should i buy a set of 18's or what? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Final question - I'm going up to a colder climate right after Christmas... and i love driving my brand new Tesla.. so I'm wanting to take it. But google tells me that my 20 inch michelin pilot 4s stock tires on my model 3 performance are summer tires. If its going to be 25 degrees outside... do i need to buy a $3000 winter set of wheels? Or should i just drive my Honda? I need help here - what do you guys know from your experience?

Live in NE and have had 20” rims for years on my BMW M3. You can drive, hit potholes and be fine. People in car forums are generally extra about everything, hahaha. I’ve only hit one GIANT pothole in Boston, and it was at highway speeds, that damaged the tire (sidewall bubble). Was able to drive safely 100’s more miles and the rim was fine. The quality of the tire makes a difference. Don’t buy cheap crap.

You can also drive 4s in 20 degrees (or colder) and have zero issues. But they can’t handle snow at all. So if you think it may snow, take the other vehicle.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG and Tomx17
I've had 20" wheels on my last 3 vehicles (~12 years). Yes, you should pay attention while driving and avoid potholes, and if you do, you should be fine.

As for the Pilot 4S tires, they're really not supposed to be used in temps below about 40 degrees, but if it's only for a few days and there's no snow AND you drive cautiously, you should be fine. Their grip will definitely be significantly reduced in very cold temps so be careful!

• Love
Reactions: Tomx17
Their grip will definitely be significantly reduced in very cold temps so be careful!

You can also drive 4s in 20 degrees (or colder) and have zero issues. But they can’t handle snow at all. So if you think it may snow, take the other vehicle.

both of you have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much for easing some of my concerns. However, i'm still considering buying winter tires. It looks like here will be snow in the forecast. And temps down to 16 degrees. Winter tires could be nice? Its just a huge expense.

https://tsportline.com/collections/...-tire-package-set-of-4?variant=19880547385462

I'm looking at these. With the michelin mxm4 tires. I think they're all season tires. Would these do good in the snow/ cold weather? And could these wheels be better for long road trips in varied weather conditions?

Winter tires are always a good idea in the Northeast. I never put them on my M3’s, BUT if it snowed/chance of snow I was SOL because the car became worthless. Since you have another vehicle you only really need winter tires if you plan on driving the Tesla in winter conditions.

Tire rack has winter packages as well you can check out.

• Love
Traction control is amazeballs on these cars. Just get some Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ Ultra High Performance All-Season tires unless you're constantly in deep snow. You could get a light weight forged 18 that clears the calipers. Sell the stock brand new OEM 20s/tires for ~$2k-3k to recoup the cost.

Don't drive the stock summers below 40f or you're gonna get premature cracking.

Live life, stop worrying.

• Informative
I think the manufacturers are covering themselves for the most part with the warning about tires cracking. Grip reduced? Absolutely. Actually cracking? Try googling that and see... Yeah. You don’t find much, if any, issues.

I likely wouldn’t run high performance summers in 25F weather, but have no issues running them in the cold, rainy ~38-50F weather in Seattle.

Pothole discussion is overblown. You need to watch out for potholes on any tire/wheel. I mentioned this in another thread about how my Golf R came with 19s with high performance summer tires, and people were complaining that 19s were silly and really we should all be driving on 18s at most. Never had an issue with any wheels breaking in 3.5 years before trading it in for the Model 3.

Prior to the Golf R? People were complaining on the STI forums that the 18s with high performance summer tires were too big and we should all run 17s.

It’s never ending. Bottom line is people who have issues are more likely to complain than those who don’t. That’s why every refrigerator has terrible ratings! I mean, who reviews a fridge unless it breaks?

Do I think 20s are less or equally likely to have issues as 19s and 18s? No. I’m sure that 20s are more prone to damage due to their size, weight, and the less beefy sidewall. But you can bet it’s nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.