Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for a 2024 Stealth M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After pinching 4 tires in 2 years, I decided to go 18s (T-sportline). I did end up destroying one of the 18 inch wheels when i hit a hidden pothole under a bridge (basically made it almost invisible) but other than that, they've held up to potholes much better without any tire pinching over rough pavement. They also make the 2019 M3P ride more compliant as the 20s were pretty darn rough.

I decided All Seasons just to get more life out of my tires...was eradicating the summers every 10k miles. :D

Reactions: DocHolliday
You're right; many people would be happy with 19s, too.
19s worked great for me on my previous used Model S cars as well as on a Chevy Impala that I had.

245/45R19 on the big cars (the Impala was a couple inches longer but narrower than the S, though lighter overall) seemed like the perfect balance of comfort and grip. A 245/45R19 has 16mm more sidewall than a 235/40R19 and 4mm more than a 235/45R18. But a 245/45R19 is probably too tall to fit a Model 3, 30mm taller than a 235/35R20 M3P tire.

Do I work for Tesla? Not quite sure why you asked that question.

After years of experience with low-profile tires (flats and blowouts), have opted for smallest wheel option on S (19") and 3 (18"). Good results.

You're right; many people would be happy with 19s, too.

Already mentioned that summer/winter tire switch will work in many climates but not this one.
You were doing a poll, I thought you worked for Tesla.

Any source for this? I was wondering how Tesla got the spikes so thin on the new model with a cast wheel, it makes a lot more sense for them to be forged.
IMG_4232.png

Back in the day there was huge debate over it... initially P3D- and P3D+ was used to indicate if you got the 5k option package or not... then some folks decided the - sign was insulting so stealth became the term they preferred. I still use P3D- because it's both accurate for the original release (it's minus the option package, versus the other that's plus the option package) and because it's simply less characters to type.
Stealth is accurate because you cannot tell that a P3D- is a performance model from looking at it.

Reactions: Rachmaninov
I was a fortunate buyer of a 2019 Stealth Model 3P. It has been the best car I've ever owned by far! I have several different sets of wheels/tires for it.

The Stealth version was a performance model that used the standard 18 inch wheels. Those 18 inch wheels and standard tires provided a much better ride, greatly reduced chance of pot hole damage and also enabled a reduced price.

The roads here in the NorthEast frequently have numerous pot holes that will damage 20 inch wheels much more frequently than a smaller wheel / and tire with a larger side wall. It is also my understanding that the 20 inch performance tires are specifically NOT to be used in colder weather. The manufacturer states that mid 40's should be the lower temperature limit due to unsafe results in colder temps. That temperature range means that the performance tires should only legally be used for about six months of the year here in the NorthEast.

IF a new Stealth version was available it would prevent most of the potential pot hole damage and also reduce the possibility of a legal issue from using a performance tire in cold weather. If the Stealth model enabled Tesla to provide a $2k price reduction all of the Tesla colors would then qualify for the $7500 rebate. Many of us would also buy a set of the 20 Performance tires and wheels from Tesla for summer use.

Anyone else interested in a 24 Stealth version?
I would be happy if they just offered a stock 18" wheel option. Yes you can go aftermarket, but that comes at a cost and an OEM option would likely be more optimized for aero efficiency.

Reactions: PawelTriceps
Ideally a new "Stealth" version would have a $2000 price reduction so that all the colors would be available for the $7500 rebate.

My strong preference is to purchase a new Red with white interior M3P but choosing the red over the standard color is a $9500 ($7500 + $2000) difference if you qualify for the rebate.

If you check the manufacturers recommendations you'll see that they state that performance tires use different compounds and can be damaged beyond repair anytime they are under 40*.
tires are a consumable and swappable product. think of it like an outercoat. its your prerogative to change them to suit the weather, and in certain jurisdiction it is your legal obligation to change them.

people in places with seasonal climates change tires/wheels twice a year. its just a fact of life.

In the EU, it is an imperative to change tires. In the US, we're spoiled with many cars coming with "All Season" tires, which do most conditions OK, but nothing particularly great. Real performance cars come with real performance tires though in order to have great performance, which require a seasonal swap (unless you plan to garage the car all winter). You're free of course to put AS tires on, but you're trading some performance for that.

I do wish they had a smaller rim size option, as I have an order in for a performance 3 and would have to swap the wheels first thing in order to avoid pothole flats.

Reactions: Rachmaninov