Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 charges perfectly...most of the time (but not always)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My NEMA 14-50 outlet is having the same issues... installed in March and no problems until the last couple weeks when it has randomly tripped the breaker 3 times when plugging the car in to start charging. Each time it has worked fine after resetting the breaker. After reading this thread, I had a similar conversation with the electrician that installed it and confirmed I also have a GFI breaker (required per code), and how that can cause nuisance trips when used in conjunction with the GFI-protected Tesla cable. He seems to think it's no big deal. He said if it was a loose wire or some other actual problem causing the trip, it would trip every time.

Would it be better to replace the breaker with a regular one (against code requirements) or just put up with random nuisance trips? Mainly want to be able to reassure my wife that the house isn't gonna burn down.

My NEMA 14-50 outlet is having the same issues... installed in March and no problems until the last couple weeks when it has randomly tripped the breaker 3 times when plugging the car in to start charging. Each time it has worked fine after resetting the breaker. After reading this thread, I had a similar conversation with the electrician that installed it and confirmed I also have a GFI breaker (required per code), and how that can cause nuisance trips when used in conjunction with the GFI-protected Tesla cable. He seems to think it's no big deal. He said if it was a loose wire or some other actual problem causing the trip, it would trip every time.

Would it be better to replace the breaker with a regular one (against code requirements) or just put up with random nuisance trips? Mainly want to be able to reassure my wife that the house isn't gonna burn down.
My suggestion is a wall charger, a NEMA outlet is not designed for frequent plug/unplug, and the cost of extra mobile charger plus a decent 14-50 plus the adapter is almost the same with a gen 3 wall charger

My suggestion is a wall charger, a NEMA outlet is not designed for frequent plug/unplug, and the cost of extra mobile charger plus a decent 14-50 plus the adapter is almost the same with a gen 3 wall charger
Well I've only actually unplugged the cord from the outlet once or twice in the 6 months it's been installed. Don't really need an extra mobile charger. After paying for the NEMA 14-50 install, I'm not really willing to convert over to the wall charger. I'm just trying to decide on the way forward with my NEMA installation, while balancing convenience (not having to constantly reset the breaker) with not having to pay any more for it and going against code (replacing the breaker).

Is there any actual harm/risk associated with the tripping/resetting breaker or is that truly no big deal like the electrician said? It makes my wife a little uneasy and I'm not 100% confident in my reassurances.